Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-18-2021, 05:30 AM   #1
Iggy9

Not sure if I should install this marble

Hi all, hope to get advice from pros on here regarding this marble I purchased and still unsure if I should install. I separated ones with orangish coloring. Are these ok or are they defective. Thank you for any insight.
Attached Images

Iggy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Welcome Iggy. I suppose you could say it was defective if compared to porcelain tile that mimics marble. Mother Nature has her own rules and manufacturing standards. It is what it is.

Lots of stone that might have gone in scrap bin years ago ends up on store shelves now. Sold as "rustic" or "cottage" or "weathered" or some other hyperbole.

My bigger concern would be the floor structure to support such tile. Natural stone is far more demanding of substrate and typically requires augmentation of joists and subfloor. Have you checked your structure with the handy-dandy Deflecto tool in the dark blue band near top of page?

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
Iggy9

Hi Peter, thank you???? I checked it, however these are i-joists, spaced 16”.
Unread 05-18-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Angela, if you look closely at your I joists, hopefully you'll find a manufacturer name and maybe even deflection specs. Even without that one could speculate based on the web and flange dimensions of the joists and span.

Unless enhanced joist structure and support was specified at time of original construction, it's unlikely that it will meet the L720 required for natural stone and probably falls in the L480 range, which is common for new-ish structures. Porcelain and ceramic tile is much less demanding of substrate.

This might be helpful:
https://www.techsupport.weyerhaeuser...le-Deflection-

If you were to install pictured stone on inadequate substrate, the "defects" you see would be the likely areas of failure.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I agree with Peter. The brown areas are typically iron oxide that occurs naturally in some marble. While it can, in some instances, be attractive as an accent...the truth is that it IS a "weak area" in the structure, and as such, requires a very solid underlayment to avoid cracking. Over a concrete slab, it is doable. Over anything else...it's a bit of a crapshoot.....

If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you see the cost of hiring a amateur.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2021, 06:32 AM   #6
Iggy9

Thank you both! I’ll check out the I-joists today. Need to install this weekend, but I couldn’t find any white unmodified thinset to go over the ditra on floor (using this membrane to level transition from hardwood). Going to a tile shop also today that carries Ardex X5 and see if they have white in stock. And also check for a different tile.
Unread 05-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Angela.

It's not only the joist structure that must meet a much stricter standard than that for ceramic tile, it's also the subflooring, as Peter alluded in post #2. For a natural stone installation, you must have a double layer of subflooring, regardless the joist spacing.

If you're trying to match the height of an adjacent floor using Ditra, I suspect you have not considered the second layer of plywood you must add where your natural stone tile will be installed.

As for the thinset mortar, you're gonna hafta violate somebody's installation requirements. Schluter wants you to use an unmodified thinset mortar (ANSI A118.1) to install your stone. The manufacturer - well, the cutter and finisher - of your stone tiles wants you to use a modified thinset mortar (A118.4). I'd recommend you use the modified mortar wihich should be easy to locate in white. See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #8
Iggy9

Thank you, CX, love the warranty info. This has definitely been a learning experience, I had zero knowledge of these requirements for stone. I haven’t had much of a good feeling going ahead with this marble. I’m kinda out of options so fingers crossed it goes well and doesn’t crack.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase