Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #46
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

1. It is possible to run into problems when setting the bottom row of wall tiles just after installing the floor. It does help if the floor thinset has dried at least a few hours. You don't want the wall tile resting on the floor tiles and causing them to mash down too low. Those low tiles could hold water. Just make sure the thinset under the floor tiles is set enough to support the wall tiles without mashing them down.

2. I would use unsanded on the walls and sanded on the floor. The floor is a different tile with a different size joint so it'll be fine. Plus, the sanded grout in the 1/8 joints will work easier and stay fuller in the joints.

3. Sure, you can seal them if you want. I very seldom ever do, depends on the color of the grout. White grout in white tiles I wouldn't bother sealing but it sure won't hurt anything and would help on the cleanup.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #47
DopeyRunr

Thanks again, I appreciate all of the help!
Unread 04-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #48
DopeyRunr

About ready to lay floor tile and looking for some reducer advice for the transition between the tile floor in the bathroom and the oak hardwood in the doorway to our bedroom.

The top surface of the installed Hardibacker sits about 3/16" above the level of the oak hardwood. I expect tile (0.315" thick) and thinset (spread with 1/2" x 1/2" trowel) to bring the finished level of the tile floor approx. 3/4" above the level of the oak hardwood.

1. it looks like the Schluter RENO-V profile might work. Will the pivoting arm swing down below the profile's mounting flange? I'm guessing the flange will be about 1/4" above the level of the oak floor.

2. Should i just use an oak reducer nailed into the oak floor and overlapping the finished tile floor? I feel like I may be able to get a better fit this way.

3. Would your recommendation change knowing that we'll be having the oak floors refinished in the next 12-18 months?

4. Is there an altogether different reducer option you'd recommend?
Unread 04-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #49
DopeyRunr

I'll leave a 1/8" gap between the floor tile and the wall, which will be covered by a 9/16" wide baseboard. Should I caulk the gap or leave it unfilled since it will be hidden?
Unread 04-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #50
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi Chris,
If not visible I would leave it unfilled.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #51
rmckee84

1/4" gap unfilled around the perimeter is how I usually approach anything covered by trim.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2017, 03:55 AM   #52
DopeyRunr

Thanks guys - I'll leave it uncaulked and shoot for 1/8"-1/4" gap around the perimeter. Given how wavy the walls are in this small bathroom, that wiggle room will sure help ripping these 12"x24" tiles.
Unread 05-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #53
DopeyRunr

Quick grouting question for a 3x3 shower stall - should I grout the entire thing top to bottom, or one wall at a time?
Unread 05-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #54
rmckee84

What grout are you using?
On the bag it will say how long before you should begin to wash. The best thing to do would be to dump your grout out into a bucket and dry mix it, then measure and work with smaller batches to avoid wasting any and getting yourself in trouble with it setting up too quick before you get to it. I don't know how fast you work so it's hard to advise on exactly how much you can do at one time.
Unread 05-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #55
DopeyRunr

Sorry - my grouting experience is limited to a single 30 sq ft floor, so my plan for the shower (approx. 80 sq ft) was to split it in thirds, mixing each batch separately, expecting that I will be slow at this.

I'm using Polyblend non-sanded grout. 3x6 Subway tiles with 1/16 grout lines. Each of the three walls is about 3 feet wide by about 8 feet tall.

So even if I went top to bottom, I'd still break it up into three parts. I guess it probably doesn't matter if I split it up by one wall at a time or top/middle/bottom.
Unread 05-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #56
rmckee84

I would do one wall at a time if you decide to break it up. With the chance of color differences between batches, it would be less noticeable if shades vary slightly wall to wall. If the shades differ slightly on the same wall it will show more.
Unread 05-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #57
DopeyRunr

That makes sense. Thanks!
Unread 05-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #58
rmckee84

One more tip, a small dowel rod can help strike the joints if it starts to setup on you and you have difficulty getting the joints cleaned up.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase