Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #3901
Foochacho
Wood and Tile Contractor

Too many H joints and close joints for me Rick. Gotta space those out more.
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #3902
silvercitytile

Send a message via MSN to silvercitytile
very nice jason, rick, and john

Schluter Kerdi and Ditra installer in Southern New Mexico
Castillo Construction
silvercitytile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #3903
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Too many H joints and close joints for me Rick. Gotta space those out more.

Sorry boss. I forgot you were the one paying me.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #3904
Foochacho
Wood and Tile Contractor

You have no problem dishing out constructive criticism. If you can't take it yourself, maybe you should quit dishing it out. If your installing a tile job to look like a wood floor then you should follow the rules of laying a hardwood floor and avoid the close joints and H joints.
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #3905
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

No I can take it but when your told to install something a certain way you do it. And if you space em out, then it looks like running bond which the homeowner did not want, but you were there while I layed the floor out and you knew that already. When every tiles the same size the pattern will always stay that way, unlike hardwood which comes in a millions sizes you do have to worry about joints being close in every other row. Yeah I explained that to the guy but he didn't mind that, but you knew that cause you were there with me while I layed it.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #3906
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

snap!

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #3907
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Send a message via Yahoo to Chad Deiter Company
I think it looks good I know those type floors can be a PITA when the floor isn't flat. It's a good thing you floated yours.
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #3908
Foochacho
Wood and Tile Contractor

H joints in yellow, close joints in red. With a 24 inch tile you can do a set of three starters. If you do two sets of starters with different sizes in each set you shouldn't get any sort of repeat until 6 rows later which is plenty of space to avoid a patterned look. Let's say you do 2 sets at 24,14,8,23,16,7 that would give you six random starters that do not repeat, look random because the differences between the boards are different (not just 6 inches off of each to make it look like a set of stairs) and are spaced far enough apart to avoid H joints and close joints. Just use full tiles at your cut ends and use the cut offs as starters. Keep them in order and you have no problems.

The six cut offs from your first set of starters should be set aside until you get to the last six rows. Then you can use these to make your final cuts since yo don't need any more starters. The only waste you will have is a couple inches off those last 6 pieces and whatever rips you have on the wall.
Attached Images

Unread 02-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #3909
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

Heres a pic of a bathroom we are doing, again. Two weeks ago I installed 12x12 with a joint shy of 3/16". Homeowner was not happy. Apparently him, builder and decorator decided to have the tile (normal ungauged 12x12) installed with a 1/8" or smaller joint. Only problem was nobody informed the tileman. I must have missed the mind reader class the NTCA gives. After tile is in, I am then informed. HO wants small joint for cleaning less area to get stained. I tell builder we can do Spectralock and his concerns are settled. Builder likes idea, says he will pay for it and go talks to HO. I get a call that says install the Spectralock. That stuff rocks. I submit bill and get paid. A week later I get a phone call that says we have a new tile selection for this project. I am like wtf? Builder says HO still not happy and builder agrees to replace floor, at builders expense. Have I mentioned I really do like working with this builder. Now the tile man is asked what ideas on giving the smallest and fewest grout joints. I suggest a rectified porcelain (easy maintenance and true sizing) and mention going larger than a 12x12. I get an email from builder that says to order tile. He gives me the part number for AO, HP92. I order the tile, it comes in, we drop the other job (same builder different project) and go install the new HP 92 in a 24x24. We get all 110 ft2 in and are loading the truck when the builder stops by. He comes back out and ask what kind of a sick joke am I playing on him. I look at him confused He tells me the tile is supposed to be HP92. I get a box and show him it is HP 92. He goes and gets his sample and I see the problem. The HP92 I installed looks like white carrara. His HP92 looks like jerusalum gold. uh-oh. Come to find out, his sample is HP90 and is labeled wrong. This morning we removed the floor, scrapped the tile and floor clean of thinset. Glad thinset drys slow under big porcelain with little joints. So, the new tile is supposed to be here first of next week. Sam and I saved the cuts to mark the new tile with and some good reference points to start the new floor at. I bet the third time goes the fastest. What a week!

Here are a few pics of the floor during install.
Attached Images

tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #3910
Crestone Tile
Gonzo!

Looks good, Greg. At least you're not seven days behind on a 7 day job like me.

"Shut it down!"
Crestone Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #3911
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

or a hack like Rick making H joints. lol

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #3912
floorsuperhero

Send a message via Yahoo to floorsuperhero
re post!>>

the job rick did seems to be a topic of great discussion..yes it is tile not hardwood,yes the customer is always right,and yes they were all one size..but as professionals we have to stick to guidelines set by each individual association or group of floor covering...cfi is carpet,carpet and rug institute is carpet pad and carpet standards,wfca is all flooring carpet,vinyls and commercial flooring and finally nwfa is for wood flooring ONLY..so to my point,the wood tile is to resemble wood,your customer picked that material for that reason so the same technique that is used for wood flooring installation should have been used above anything that the customer wanted..and not all wood floor is random width,bamboo is 4 feet long and some wood sold by lumbers is 7 feet long..i agree with Sean "Too many H joints and close joints for me Rick. Gotta space those out more.
Sean ".....and once again if you can get used to using a measuring tape with centimeters only it would chance the way we install and make for better more accurate mesurements..remember alot of products made overseas are not made in inches but in centimeters and that can be a problem when trying to balance a layout or figuring out a staring point.....PREVIOUS POST BY ME.

"If you've ever looked carefully at a well-laid hardwood floor, you'll quickly notice that no two boards line up at the ends. If it's been done right, no two boards will even be within six inches or so of lining up, and there will be no other discernible pattern either. Randomness of the seams is part of the classic look of a hardwood floor, and it also contributes to the strength of the floor's structure. Your planks will come in several lengths to ensure you never have to line up the ends"
floorsuperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 01:25 AM   #3913
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
Quote:
I get a box and show him it is HP 92. He goes and gets his sample and I see the problem. The HP92 I installed looks like white carrara. His HP92 looks like jerusalum gold. uh-oh. Come to find out, his sample is HP90 and is labeled wrong. per Greg Hiens
Thats why I dont buy tile or grout in my bids. Hammy

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #3914
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

The tile store is being real good about it. They ordered the correct tile and are paying for the direct freight instead of waiting for regular delivery. Also I have an invoice for time and material tk take to tile store. They are going to cut me a check today.
Posted via Mobile Device
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #3915
John K

Holy smokes! I hope I never get that wood look a like crap. And sure won't post it here.

Wasted good TLS on having to tear out and redo. I didn't know there was still such a thing as a builder.

www.precisiontilestone.com
John K is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase