Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Brett J

Kerdi installation for tub surround

hey guys, hows it going, so I have bought Johns Kerdi installation book and looked through it and searched the boards extensivly but havent really got the definitive answer to my question regarding my new tub installation

So heres the deal, i am putting in a new fiberglass tub, and have the walls down to the studs, I have redone the copper, and the drain piping, i am about to put up the CBU (well wonderboard) on the studs, which i will be covering with a roll of Kerdi membrane i picked up, So i have a couple of questions

1. I have heard this question asked quite a few times, but seem to get different answers, i know its unmodified thinset between the kerdi and the tile, but between the kerdi and the CBU on the under side of the membrane, I have been told and read that you are supposed to modified thinset, is this true?

2. my second question is in reference to the image i attached to this post, the tub i purchased has two lips on it, and i am not entirely positive how to run the CBU and Kerdi to it, if you look at the picture the CBU when installed will be sitting ontop or ever so slightly above and almost flush if not hanging over the first lip where the screws to the 2x4's are a little

So if i brought the Kerdi straight down off the CBU it would be hanging loose somewhere on the second lip, so what would i do with it then? there will be a gap between the back of the fireberglass lip2 and the Kerdi, should that be filled with thinset? will it stick to fireberglass? and i guess my last question is do you actually affix the kerdi to the acrylic tub lip? if so with what? silcone?

I guess with this type of tub with more than one lip, once i get the 16x16 traventine tiles on i could have a gap if the tile hangs over lip2

Sorry for the long winded post guys, but i really appreciate it

Brett
Attached Images

Brett J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Mike2

Brett, use unmodified thin-set for Kerdi, both under and over it. Here is a table I have in the Liberry that summarizes the recommended thin-set types for both Kerdi and Ditra.

In the Kerdi eBook which you have, John recommends using thin-set to adhere Kerdi to a tub flange. You'll find that on page 32 and in Figure 33. Personally, I like Kerdi Fix better for that but John's right, thin-set works.

What brand of tub is that? I've not seen a flange configured quite like that before, with all those "steps" and all. Wonder what that's for?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Schluter appears to want you to run the Kerdi and drywall down behind the tub edge, then put a band over that and the tub's tiling flange as in the picture below. You could attach the bottom edge with KerdiFix and stop it above I suppose. Well, the pic on their site is too big to attach, so check here http://www.schluter.com/picture_zoom...luter-DILEX-AS
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Brett J

hey thanks guys, i must have missed that in the book, the tub is the Acri-tek elegance plus from home depot, second cheapest tub on the shelf and nothing special, it does say double tiling flange on the side of the box, quite strange.

so i guess im going to have a fiberglass lip showing or some of the tile hanging down from it
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Brett J

this is starting to make my head hurt, so has anyone done a tub with a double tiling flange? im about to put the CBU on but i dont know if im going to need to shim the studs behind CBU to level the wood so that the CBU can be put it on the second lip and the be like i standard one lip tub, or do i leave one of the fiberglass lips showing?

sigh....i dont know what to do
Unread 03-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
Brett J

well i went back to HD and they had a large color diagram glued to the dispaly tub, the manufactures idea of how to install this is to leave the bottm acrylic lip exposed, sort of, it is supposed to be flush with the 3/8 tile. I guess the problem i ran into is that i have thick traventine tiles im installing so i am going to end up having some hang over the edge, o well i guess ill have to silicone the sharp edge

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase