Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
olzo55

wet area grout, which one?

my homeowner has a 600 sqft textile studio that will have alot of water spilling on the floor. I mentioned using an epoxy grout or something simliar and she is interested. But which grout? the tile is a porcelain and is on a radiant heat floor. Spectralock is 2x as expensive as mapei's keraply epoxy but i just heard about the Tec product. Want to do what's right for the homeowner without killing myself cleaning epoxy. what would you pick?
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've only used the Spectralock Pro and it works very well and easy to clean up.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
conceptsplus
Conceptsplus- Randy Gilmore

If the warm wire is electric don't worry. They are UL listed and safe even in wet areas. I have installed them over mud base shower floors. My customers are all still alive and well!

Natural Stone Contractor - Springfield, Missouri
Website needs updates- be back soon.
conceptsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hydroment 1900..( semi Solids)
Hydroment 100% Solids
Starquartz Urethane Grout

.......OR, if you want to really Kill yourself try Ardex's New sanded floor grout ( grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) No Dont, just Kidding!!
Unread 02-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Rd Tile
Tile Man

So Todd, have you used this Starquartz grout or just recommending it?

E-Mailed them a month ago for a sample and asked a few questions, not one response or a sample as of yet, nice customer service.
Unread 02-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I recieved a Sample of the product and my first test with it I didnt care for it......What I found was that is shrank some resulting in low joints..........Recently I tried another batch on another board and this time it reacted quite differently..........This leads me to believe I may have recieved a Bad batch........BUT I am not ready to make any conclusions YET.

Rich, I have 80 4x5x9 Showers and several Large Public restrooms that we will be grouting with Quartzloc Grout along with a Pile of wall tile around a complete Waterpark and by the time I finish these I expect I'll be If not an Authority on the product, Pretty dang knowledgable about its characteristics good and Bad........

At that time I will make My Overall Assessment right down to giving a Dollar figure (as both dollar amount and s/f Percent increase amount) for upcharge Based on the amount of additional time required to complete the grouting in a satisfactory manner.This will make it possible to create your own dollar figure Based on your area's going rate.

I should also be able to determine a Percentage of what I'll call applicating failure: The shrinking of the product resulting in a necessary second application. Several Tiles of Various sizes and Joints of various sizes will be used so it will be a Very thorough proving ground. This percentage can then be figured into your Extra pricing should it prove to be a factor.

with nearly 15,000 s/f I would think nearly all possible scenarios that could happen will be discovered.
Look for this report around the 1st week of May or thereabouts

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase