Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
stiffknee

Opps - Wrong Mastic :eek:

This is a nice forum. Its hard to find real world advice with tile work. its always been buy what they stock and hope for the best. I do need to post a question and hope my tile job is not to far gone at this point.

I installed a kitchen floor in our house 6 years ago (25 by 14) porcelain, hand grouted with two thumbs so I did'nt think much about tiling the boys bathroom.

I, like so many mis-fortunate souls; got talked into using a premix mastic. My current project is a 6 by 5 kids bathroom floor. I went with a Porcelain pinwheel pattern (4 12x12 with a 6x6 in the middle) and Laticrete Mastic 15 for both the HardyBoard to plywood and the tile. After installing the tile I noticed a small box on the tub not to use on floor tiles larger then 6x6. Futher reading on the manufactures web site stated not to use on porcelain tiles more than 2x2 on the floor

so here I am thinking that if I give the floor a couple of days to setup before grouting, the floor might stay put. My train of thought is that its not tile installed at a mall. floor traffic will be minimal, the mastic is advertised as being for wet locations above water.

should I pop the tiles and hardyboard, cut my losses and retile ? I'm also going to try the Laticrete stain resistant grout on 1/4 grout lines.

at the end of the project I'll have three 2 gallon buckets to put in my will
stiffknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Quote:
the floor might stay put
How much are you willing to count on that "might"? And if your tiles start to pop up, are you ready to do it over?

I'd think in a kid's bathroom, they'll have water all over the floor after every bath, washing hands, and brushing teeth - my kids do this. And the mastic probably won't last long with that much water abuse - I'd give it a year or less.

My advice is to take it up, scrape off the mastic from the floors and tiles and use cement based thinset.

Unread 07-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, stifknee. Please give us a first name to use.
Quote:
so here I am thinking that if I give the floor a couple of days to setup before grouting, the floor might stay put.
On a 12x12 tile, even over Hardibacker, a couple days ain't likely to provide dry mastic in the center.

A fella can toss the dice on something like that if he wants to. Come time to tear it up you'll likely hafta take up the Hardi, too, because you aren't likely to get the surface clean enough to properly set the tiles with thinset, anyway.

Might be able to take up the tile now, clean the Hardi adequately, and cut your losses as Juan suggests. Or maybe not.

Hardi, by the way, thinks you've installed their product correctly, as I recall. Don't agree with them, but it's their board, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
BigCraig

Heres what you you can expect using mastic, and this was in a relatively dry area
Attached Images

Last edited by BigCraig; 07-03-2007 at 03:22 AM.
BigCraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase