Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
aimalyn

How to (finish) removing a ceramic tile floor

Hi! I'm back this time asking a flooring question. My hubby and I removed 770 sq. ft of gawd awful ugly 9" ceramic tile from our living room, dining room and kitchen last weekend.

The tiles came up but the mortar and parts of the backside of the tile remained stuck to the slab. We rented a "chipper" (looked like a small jackhammer) to remove the tile. We had been waiting for something to become available to remove the tile since March (it seems that everyone is removing flooded tiles). I was under the impression that there was a machine with an "L" shaped blade that would have easily removed the tile, but could never locate one. On with the show...

The tiles are up and outta here. Left behind is an uneven floor. NO GOUGES on the slab. How to remove the leftover mortar and underside of the tile? I have been using a flat blade scraper, but the handle broke yesterday. Is there a sander or other piece of equipment I could rent?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
aimalyn
aimalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
sandbagger

part of the answer depends on what you're going to put down.

If it's to be new tile - I haven't used it (yet), but my Homer has a 'scarifier' for rent that they claim will do just this type of thing. It's got a whole bunch of blades that whirl real fast. Comes with a big vacuum to suck it all up. It will leave the surface looking real scratched up, and anything slightly loose will get removed. The good news is that the 'roughing' of the surface creates a great bonding surface for the new thinset.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
aimalyn

We will be putting down 20 x 20 tiles. Sounds like somethin we need to rent! thanks!
aimalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
sandbagger

let me know how it works. I'm just going by what Homer's tool rental guy said. Yeah, I know they wear orange aprons, but I've found that the guys in the rental shop tend to actually know a little bit about tools. Suppose that has anything to do with all the different ways they could cost Homer money if they screw it up??

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase