Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-03-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
yadax3

Question Sealer, grout release & MB-4 questions

We are using this Daltile glazed porcelain tile for our bathroom project: http://www.daltileproducts.com/serie...t=4&series=74#

I just happen to have a bottle of MB-4 that I bought for two marble vanity tops (which, as it turns out, I don't really need to seal), not realizing when I bought it that it would make an excellent grout sealer as well. John's book recommends sealing virtually all tile installations but I'm still a bit confused.

1. Would it be a good idea to use a grout release, especially since our tile is textured and some of it is pitted? If so, would MB-4 make a good grout release for this purpose?

2. Should I seal my porcelain tile, even though it's glazed? If so, would MB-4 be a good sealer for this purpose?

3. How much MB-4 would I need to seal about 400 sq. ft. of tile?

4. How many quarts would I need to seal 1/16" unsanded grout lines around about 300 sq. ft. of 10" x 13" field tiles, 20 sq. ft. of 1" x 1" shower floor tile and 1/8" sanded grout lines around 120 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" floor tiles?

5. Is MB-4 a good grout sealer to use in a bathroom/shower? (I think I read something to the contrary on one of these threads). If it matters, we're planning to use Hydroment Modified Ceramic & Dry Tile Grout.

Thank you in advance for any insight & clarification you can offer.

Last edited by yadax3; 09-03-2004 at 03:09 PM.
yadax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-03-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

1) No. Wipe in both a north south east west direction. the material should not inbed as long as you don't let it set too long.

2) No.

3) 1 quart ought to do it.

4) I would purchase 2 more quarts. One for use and one for reserve. You'll have a partial bottle left over and a full one.

5) It will do fine. It may take two or three applications.
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
yadax3

Thank you, Steven. Just to be sure I understand, do you mean to say I need a total of 3 quarts to seal the grout? And, another quart to seal the tile. if I chose to do so?

Last edited by yadax3; 09-03-2004 at 08:24 PM.
yadax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 07:59 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
You don't need that much, Laura. Maybe buy one more bottle.

The only real way you can screw up in using an imprenator is to leave it on the surface of something. It's very difficult to get it off. I think you can see for that reason it would be a very poor choice as a grout release. A grout release will wash off during the grout clean-up process. Sealers won't.

The best defense against getting grout stuck in your craggy tiles is to smear and clean only small areas at a time. Start out with four tiles. Get them cleaned up before you spread any more grout. You will then be able to gauge how large an area you can safely handle.

What I wrote in the book had to be general, and generally you can seal everything in site whether it needs it or not. Again, the only serious mistake you can make is leaving product to dry on the surface.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 08:10 AM   #5
yadax3

Thanks again, John. I'm still a little concerned about getting grout out of all of those nooks and crannies, so I may go ahead and get some grout release but I won't use a sealer/impregnator on the tile. Onward and forward....
Unread 09-04-2004, 09:32 PM   #6
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Laura

I'm always more cautious grouting that type of tile. One of the keys is not to leave big globs on the floor. Mix smaller batches. I like to measure the amount of water to keep the batches consistant. I also try to pack the joints, and not smear the whole tile. Makes it much easier to clean afterwards. Another hint would be to use a "doodlebug". It facilitates cleaning the textured tile, and removing fresh hardening grout.

Last, but not least, there are products available, should you not get the tile as clean as you had intended.

I personally don't favor grout release. Got everything all bubbley. Had a difficult time with keeping the joints nice and flush. It's been years since I used it, so maybe the technology has changed.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 09:16 AM   #7
yadax3

Okay, John. Thanks. I guess there's no substitute for taking it nice and slow. I just get concerned reading all of the posts about not being able to get grout off of tile. I'll look around for one of those doodlebug things. Thanks again!
Unread 09-05-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
The posts you read about folks not being able to get grout off tiles are usually by late arrivals to the boards. They find us after they've made the mess, and it's often too late to resolve the problem.

The whole industry has turned around from a design standpoint. Rough textured and craggy tiles are the norm nowadays. We've all just got to slow down. It really is the only way.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase