Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Joe-Tile

Inspector denied divot method for this

As the title states, I started a shower pan on a job with a new contractor that had a need for a new tile guy. I new i was leaving for a few day so i snuck in early to set drain and mud to cure for waterproofing. Got a call that the inspector would not sign off unless there was a liner in place. After some back and forth with the contractor i found out he removed the mud i did already and i was told it was ready to be tiled. Plumber supposedly did the mud work. Showed up to job today to find that the mud wasnt poured, the drain was the same base i set 2 weeks ago and was set higher then normal mud drain because i needed the extra height doing the divot method, no preslope, screws through Durock on the curb. I questioned it to the contractor and he told me pre slope wasn't required by code and not to worry. Just for a visual, the drain base was at least 1/2 inch higher then the liner.

He promptly told me that if i wasn't happy with the prep work that he would do the job himself. So i obliged and went home. Not going to compromise my work for anyone. Especially someone that absolutely refuses to do things right. No advice wanted, just needed to vent to someone that would understand. Funny part about it was before i started this job i explained to him exactly what i was going to do. I guess the inspector would rather a leaker with nail holes vs a sealed pan assm.
Joe-Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Just In Tile LLC

This is where I wish the powers that be would proactively test the methods that tile guys pretty much are doing and give the green light.
Unread 08-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Joe, does the plumber put down the divot membrane? I'm trying to figure out why the inspector was called out before any kind of membrane was put down. Of course it wouldn't pass. Maybe I missed something.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 08-06-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Got a call that the inspector would not sign off unless there was a liner in place.
Me, too, Davy. What Joe said above makes perfect sense to me.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Joe-Tile

I have a funny feeling that the inspector was never called in. I can't imagine one passing what i walked into today. If i can get my pictures resized I'll post them. To make matters worse the plywood subfloor was shredded beneath the liner. It was when i did my work. Difference was i put down some tar paper and lath first. This liner sits directly on the subfloor.
I offered as soon as he told me the inspector supposedly didn't ok the job that i would eat the cost of the schluter drain adaptor and the schluter drain and just kerdi the shower, to which he said that guys use it locally but didn't think they ever pull permits and the inspector would not sign off on it.
Joe-Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2018, 04:06 AM   #6
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Its Florida....makes perfect sense.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase