Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
RenovationSam

Shower Curb - Hot mopped Floor

Hi All

I recently decided to remodel a spare bathroom with shower stall. After removing the tile on the walls and floor I found out that my shower stall walls were floated with 1" of concrete and my floor is hot mopped. I have a couple of questions I was hoping to get help with.

1. I ironically took the tiles off the walls without damaging the floated concrete walls. If I use Redgard on the existing walls, can i just tile on them without having to demo them and rebuild them?

2. After removing the tile off the shower curb - - its still intact. Do I use mortar and wire mesh over the hot mopping or some other means to get the curb in a state where it can be tiled on?

Thank you in advance to take the time read my questions.

Sam
Unread 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Hi Sam.

Post some photos showing what you have to work with. Any cracks or missing bits in the mud?

Use the paper clip icon above the reply box.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
RenovationSam

Dana,

There are no cracks or missing bits in the concrete wall. In fact, most of the tile mortar is still attached to the wall. Regarding the curb, it's down to what appears to be roofing paper.

I will try and post some pictures tonight.

Thanks
Sam

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase