Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
tlum
Ted

Shot blasting?

Is anyone familiar with shot blasting? I have a concrete floor with a sealer, some oil, and which is terribly uneven, more so than I believe I can etch with muriatic acid, in preparation for tile. The two areas are garage and basement. While the garage can easily tolerate being hosed down with a pressure washer it is not possible to introduce moisture to the basement and I don't want corrosive fumes migrating up into the house. How might someone locate a company that does shot blasting or is it possible to do this yourself, or more to the point, I'm sure I could do it myself if I could find the equipment? I've checked the obvious sources and all I find are equipment manufacturers, not service companies.

Thanks,

-Ted-
tlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Jim wood
NO MORE FLOORS

Ted , you can rent a sand blaster from a rental store and then buy medium from local supplier usually a gravel type material yard. But doing this in a basement will be very dusty, you have to seal off the rest of the house and you will need a FRESH AIR supply to your respirator while blasting in the basement. You may be better off with a Grinder with a vac attachment and a heavy duty shopvac.
Unread 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Ted you might look for (demolition) companies they tend to have scarifying equipment and such.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

I thought Home Depot rented these?
Unread 02-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
George K

I looked into a shot blaster and decided that a scarifier would do my job better. I, without any help, at the age of 65, did my 1300 sq. ft., sealed concrete, below grade, basement floor. I made a total of 8 passes over the floor, plus some spot leveling here and there. If you check out some of my threads and posts, there is plenty of information and even a picture of my grandson with the scarifier. The shotblaster is big and heavy and takes some skill to operate. It might even be too big to get down into your basement, unless of course, you have a walk out basement. The scarifier was manageable. I purchased mine used, on e-bay. My scarifier is electric, thus no fumes. I did not use any water with it. I hooked the 2" vacuum hose to the machine and sucked up the dust and blew it outside. I wore an appropriate respirator, although there was very little visible dust from the scarifier.. Neither the shot blaster nor the scarifier will get right up against the walls. For that you need an angle grinder, with a dust shroud, hooked to the vacuum system. Diamond wheel of course. I sure would not like to do an entire floor with an angle grinder.

I decided to buy the scarifier machine. That way, I could work at my own pace. It was a very wise decision. If, after you finish with your research, you feel that this type machine will meet your needs, drop me a line. I have to pick up a wood stove in Vermont, and you are along the way.

While you might be able to do the job yourself, it is definitely hard, time consuming work. Good luck.

Last edited by George K; 02-28-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: clarification
George K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
tlum
Ted

Thanks for all of the great information.

To add a bit more plot... it is the garage that I will be doing first. My thought is to use a tile that I like, but, if that does not work out I may just go to an epoxy paint.

That said, I would like to strip the top rough, uneven, contaminated surface and end up with a fresh, smooth (relatively speaking), surface suitable for acid washing and paint or thinset and tile. I assume that if I prep the surface correctly I can go either way?

It is my impression that a scarifier is going to leave groves, is this correct?

I am not aware of Home Depot renting shot blasters, though I didn't ask about sand blasters.

It is my impression that a sand blaster is going to use a lot of sand in order to generate a lot more sand, where as a shot blaster uses a magnetic process to salvage the steel shot from the waste and recycle it thus generating less (relatively speaking) mess and less waste to dispose of? I am not aware of the differences in cutting power and speed between sand and shot, does anyone know this?

Thanks,

-Ted-
tlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
George K

The scarifier left a surface suitable for tileing. I did not find it necessary to acid wash after I scarified the concrete. The depth of those grooves are controllable by how close the cutter wheels are to each other and how deep you set the machine to mill. Multiple passes also improve the surface texture. I made passes in North-South and East-West directions, and also in North-East/South-West, and North-West/South-East directions. A slightly rough surface is a good thing. It helps the thinset to bond.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase