Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #16
Marge

if I did a cushioned edge then I might want to use a smaller spacer since it would appear even wider than 3/16" because it would be spread out at the top of the V?

Yep, wider at the top.
Unread 01-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #17
SusieHaz

Oh, great! Thank y'all so much for telling me about the cushioned edge thing. It makes a lot of sense. I'll change to 1/8" spacers to get the look I want. THANKS!!
SusieHaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #18
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

here you go.
a visual always helps........

the top 1/4" joint is a square edge tile with a flush grout joint.
(joint is full to the top and nice looking)
the second picture is a low 1/4" grout joint with a cushioned edge tile.
(joint is low and can collect dirt with a cushioned edge tile with low grout joint)
the third is a 1/4" joint filled to the top that gives a wide joint appearance.
(high joint with a wide set cushioned edge tile)
the bottom is a tight tile joint filled to the top to look full and a 1/4" wide.
(tight joint, flush top, smooth look)

┬┐Comprende?
Attached Images

..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #19
SusieHaz

Si, senor, comprendo y muchas gracias.

The chart was just perfect. Thanks so much, Brian.
Unread 01-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
bbcamp

So, Susie, you don't live in Stone Mountain, Georgia? My sister did, a number of years ago.

I wasn't joking about moving some of your stuff out of the house. You want your tile to flow throughout the house and you want to be able to start tiling where and when you can. Having a room clogged to the ceiling with stuff from other rooms works against you on both goals. Rent a POD, and your stuff will still be accessible.

Also, you pointed out that you are a relatively small female person. I happen to like that in a person, but keep in mind that what you are undertaking is a very physical task, one that has whipped more than one guy person's butt. You will need help, so don't hesitate to ask for it. Get plenty of rest, so that fatigue does not interfere with judgment and lead to installation errors that aren't easily fixed.

I'm glad you have allowed yourself plenty of time for this project. Lots of folks underestimate the time needed and end up pulling all-nighters just to finish by an arbitrary deadline. Remember, this is supposed to be fun! So go have fun!
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #21
SusieHaz

Thank you, Bob, for your good advice. I am going to take this job very slowly. I've pulled all-nighters on all kinds of tasks over the years and, coincidentally, made a New Year's resolution not to do that again. I'd love it if I had the manpower help to move everything out while I'm working, but I just don't, so I'm going to have to go with what I have available -- me! -- and work within those parameters. My to-scale CorelDraw files of my house include my furniture, and I've figured out what furniture goes where while working on the different rooms. Actually, I think doing the job one room at a time will kind of force me to go slowly because I'll have to rest during all the drying/setting time.

I'm off to take the HD tile class this morning. I'll be glad to see someone applying the mortar instead of just reading about it and watching internet videos.

Thanks again.

Susie
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #22
bbcamp

Report what they tell you at that HD class. We've had to re-educate folks before.
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #23
SusieHaz

I certainly will. As nice and helpful as they are, I've already gotten some bad advice from HD employees. One of them told me not to worry about getting up that vinyl adhesive and one told me I had to grout the entire house in one day!
Unread 01-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #24
SusieHaz

Well, I showed up at HD for the tile class and I was the only student. So he just asked what I wanted to know. I wanted to actually see them put down the mastic with the trowel and we played with that a bit, which was kind of helpful. He said I needed to mix the VersaBond to the consistency of peanut butter, but I've been told by someone else it should be the consistency of thick cake batter and that the grout should be the consistency of peanut butter. I assume if I follow the ratio on the bags of VersaBond and the grout that I'll be fine. If I'm incorrect about that, will someone please let me know?

Thanks,
Susie
Unread 01-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #25
bbcamp

Peanut butter is correct. Creamy, not crunchy.

Start with the ratio listed on the bag, then evaluate the thinset as you spread it out. You will know you got it right when you comb out the thinset and the ridges hold their shape without slumping (too wet) or breaking up (too stiff).
Unread 01-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #26
SusieHaz

Thanks, Bob, for that info. Will keep it in mind. It occurred to me when the HD guy was letting play with the mastic and trowel that, since my I'm a cake decorator (hobbyist -- where icing consistency is often judged by weather or not it will keep a peak), getting the hang of using the trowel shouldn't be too hard for me.

Susie
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #27
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

but dont use Mastic...use Thinset
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #28
SusieHaz

Thanks, Brian, but I'm employing the word mastic (any of various preparations containing bituminous materials and used as an adhesive or seal; a pasty form of cement used for filling holes in masonry or plaster) here as a generic term for the material to adhere the tile to the floor. I'm using VersaBond as mastic for this job.
Unread 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #29
George K

health issues

Concrete dust is hazardous to your health, (think lung cancer). A shop vac without a HEPA filter will not cut it. A shop vac with a HEPA filter will clog very quickly. At the very least, use an appropriate personal respirator. Dust shrouds are made that will fit angle grinders and attach to a vacuum line. They help a great deal. In ADDITION to wearing a respirator, I used a dust collector designed for wood-working saw dust. I purchased 50' of 2" hose and hooked it up to the blower/vacuum motor of the dust collector. It was located OUTSIDE the house and did not use a filter, but vented to the atmosphere. It worked great.

3 months to do the job by yourself is overly optimistic.

Good luck,
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #30
SusieHaz

Thanks for this information and good luck wish, George. I appreciate it.

My grinder has a fitting off the shroud for a vaccum tube and with the ShopVac attached, I had little to no dust. I purchased a HEPA filter and expect to have to clean it every ten minutes. I'm using a dust mask that is suitable for concrete dust. I'm also wearing protective eyewear and earplugs. I believe I can get this job done without purchasing a woodworking dust collection system that blows the dust outdoors. I've read scores of reviews about my grinder and they all remarked how dust-free the tool and the ShopVac were together.

You may be correct that I can't finish in three months. My best estimate of 87 days assumes I work on the project every day and that will likely not happen. If it takes four months, then that's how long it will take. I am my own taskmaster. I'd like to be finished before the weather changes to hot.

Thanks again.

P.S. I'm also taking advantage of an empty room and concrete floor to paint the doors, windows and trim in the entire house and the walls and ceilings in the master bedroom/bath. That probably adds about a week. I have a day job, so I'm limited.

Last edited by SusieHaz; 01-27-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: To add info

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase