Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
maddfrog

Which sealer should I use?

I just finished a tile project. I had a thread going in the tile forum to help me with some installation questions. I recently asked a question on sealers, but nobody seems interested in answering, so I thought I'd try here.

I ended up using bright white sanded grout (I know, I know - wife's choice). Everything looks fantastic and I'm hoping to keep it that way by sealing the grout. The tiles are on a bathroom floor, about 50 sq. ft, and the tiles are white and very small (2x2 octagons and small squares) with 1/8" grout lines.

Sealing the grout lines individually doesn't seem very practical, so I'm planning to apply it to whole floor with a small foam roller and then clean the excess. Is that the right technique to use?

I'm also a little confused about which sealer to use. I've seen a lot of recommendations for StoneTech and AquaMix products here, but each has several different products. People seem to like StoneTech Bulletproof and Aquamix Sealer's Choice, but both seem to be stone sealers, rather than being specifically for grout. Both companies make plain grout sealers as well.

Which would you recommend and why? (stain resistance, ease of residue removal, cost, etc.)
Unread 02-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Mike2

Jamie, for grout I personally would use one of two products. Aqua Mix Sealers Choice or StoneTech Pro Grout Sealer. This is the recommendation you likely will receive (the one I got) from Tech Support with both companies.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
maddfrog

Thanks, Mike. I picked up some AquaMix Professional at a local tile shop the other day. The guy who was 'helping' me recommended that over the Sealer's Choice that was right next to it on the shelf because he said the Professional was specifically for grout. I'm going to exchange it for the Sealer's Choice.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase