Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
Reddog22

Which Grout to use for shower and bathroom

I am trying to decide which grout to use. I was going to use Laticrete Spectralock 1 but am having trouble finding it in stock locally and need it pretty soon.

I am using a large format porcelain glazed tile on the walls and floor with a 2” hex tile on the shower floor. Was going to use a very light gray on glazed tiles and white on the shower floor.

Of primary importance to me is durability and water sealing. All grout joints are 1/8”. I am not a professional tile setter so ease of installation is a consideration as well but it is a small bathroom.

I’ll attach a picture from a few days ago as well. In hindsight I would not have done an offset tile pattern... but again I am not a pro and tend to learn the hard way.

Anyways, what grout do you suggest? Do I wait for spectralock 1 or just use something else?
Unread 04-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
Reddog22

Here is a picture from a few days ago...
Attached Images

Unread 04-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I like Mapai's "Flexcolor CQ".....but Prism is also pretty good.....

If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you see the cost of hiring a amateur.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Aaron,

I think the offset pattern looks fine.

Regular cement grouts are the easiest to use, but single component grouts are more water resistant. Mapei and Laticrete make good ones.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
sd6000

I recently finished my shower with a similar tile. I did offset pattern like yours and my wife picked out a darker grout. Here's how that looks finished

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Unread 04-21-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nice shower, Bryan. Prism grout is very easy to use, I use it more than anything else. But there are other good grouts out there.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2021, 10:56 PM   #7
Reddog22

Bryan- that looks awesome. I am going a little lighter on grout. I purchased Flexcolor CQ for the grout.

I ran into an issue— and in my inexperience I always tend to think I can correct it without backtracking. I set the bathroom floor tile, but at the corners of the shower where I plan to transition from large format to mosaic I have some thinset build up (about 3/8” or so). I thought I could build up the large format tile a little with schluter all set — I wish I hadn’t done that. Now I have a roughly 5/8” lip from top of the tile to my “curbless” shower pan and 1/4” thick mosaic tiles to set. (See photo with red arrows- tiles are level left to right on this row but not front to back as well).

I am inclined to remove the row of tile and membrane and grind the thinset down and remembrane it. However I have ditra duo and a heat wire below the membrane. I’ll include some photos- (2x6 was for a temporary curb from when I flood tested) . What’s the best way to go about this? I always tend to think I can correct things later when I don’t get it right in the first place. ?? I learn the hard way sometimes
Attached Images

Unread 04-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #8
Reddog22

This is where the build up of thinset happened. Boy do I wish I had corrected it at this stage!!

Please don’t beat me up to hard.

I talked to the schluter rep and I think I have a solution
Attached Images

Last edited by Reddog22; 04-26-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Reddog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Had the same situation when I did mine, Aaron.

Build it up with mortar. You'll basically need to add a "ramp", thicker where it meets the main floor tile and tapered to nothing about 6" onto the shower pan.

I used an 8" plastic putty knife from Depot. Cut a notch in one end that would ride on the main floor tile and spread some mortar. Mine ended up a little too high so I used a rub brick to grind some back off. Took a bit of time but turned out fine.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
BIGPHIL

Aaron,
Another thing I notice in your pictures is the very deep toilet flange. Just something to be aware of and you may need a wax free toilet seal, like this one from Fernco, to be able to form a good seal for the toilet.
Unread 04-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #11
Reddog22

I am going to remove the last 4 tiles, closest to the shower, sand down the thinset and reapply tiles ripped 1” shorter- just before the lip. The mosaic tiles are thinner and with a little thinset I think it will all look better... the lip may actually help me get a more level transition from large format to mosaic. If I need to build up anything the rep suggested layers of Kerdi membrane initially, but I think that many layers to build up will take more time and money.

It’s going to be a pain, but I think in the end it’s the best solution for this situation for me.

May just do a 24” glass panel instead of a door, but will have to see how much water sprays out of the shower once it’s all tiles and grouted.

As for the flange I was going to stack a couple of wax rings, because yes it sits deep. Is the wax less option posted better than stacking wax rings?
Unread 04-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #12
BIGPHIL

Aaron,
You may think about posting a picture of the toilet flange on the Terry Love plumbing forum. That's your best bet to get a solid answer. My experience with wax rings is that a standard size is perfect if the flange is on top of the finished floor and then I bump up to xl wax ring of the flange is flush or just below the finished floor. I've not come across one as deep as what I see in your picture. The Fernco unit I linked to said it was acceptable to use for flanges 3/4" below the finished surface....from over here, yours looks deeper than that. Not sure if stacking a couple of xl wax rings would even be good enough. I've not stacked any more than two standard rings, let alone xl's.
Unread 04-26-2021, 10:22 PM   #13
sd6000

I had the same issue with my toilet flange after my remodel. I consulted a plumber friend for advice. His method was to use the flange extention ring (picture attached). Manufacturer specs you can stack up to 3 high. He advised to run a bead of silicone between the layers as you stack it.
Worked great for me, 3 high put me at perfect height for a wax ring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Unread 04-27-2021, 06:44 AM   #14
Reddog22

I ordered a set rite flange kit. This is a code compliant way to raise the toilet flange.
Unread 04-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #15
BIGPHIL

Just looked up the set rite flange extender...that appears to be exactly what is needed. Good find and using that you should be in good shape.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase