Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
PA Logan
DIYer

Need advice with Ditra...

I just laid Schluter Ditra down on a wooden subfloor with versabond and a 1/4 x 1/4 trowell. I pressed down on the entire surface of the ditra with a wood block to help it bond with the thinset and I checked a few edges to make sure it is sticking to the white/felt side (and it was).

I know the directions say you can start laying tile right away but it still feels "wet and squishy" underneath and I am worried it wont set correctly if i start...

Any advice?

-PA
PA Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Saldibs
Tile Contractor -- Boston North Shore

Send a message via ICQ to Saldibs
Schluter says that you can install tile immediately and I have done so many times. The only problem you will enconter is if you need to lift a tile off the ditra after you have placed it in the thinset, when you go to lift the tile the ditra can tent and lose it's bond from the sub floor. For this reason I like to install the Ditra and let it set then install the tile the next day. This is not always possible though, so just keep that in mind if you need to set the same day.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Saldibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I agree with Sal.

depending on the size of your area tiled and if it's even worth starting the tile now.
I would probably go a flat trowel and fill the squares now which will help you the day you lay the tile.
in my opinion.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter & Laticrete waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan & Schluter Kerdi board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
lou432
Tile Man -- Southern New Hampsire

Welcome Pa! 1/4x1/4 trowell??? square notch?? V notch?? new trowell??
Sounds like ya might wana let it set up for a day or so if you used quarter x quarter .
I `d wait no matter I do Ditra often & prefer to set it in speed set thinset over wood substrate & still come back the next day & install .
I`ve had a few issues with regular modified over wood substrate installing ditra 2pm then coming back next morn to install & trying to lift a tile off ditra to reline or replace & the ditra comes detatched from wood substrate. So I use Speed set only now (over wood substrate ) & still come back next day & install.

Not saying anything bad about Ditra fer sure I LOVE THE STUFF!!!!! but it has some idiosyncrasy's like any other products & I`ve found this way the best for me . But quarter x quarter is a bit big ?? so I`d let`r set up a mite.

White sand+ blue water .
Find the grace in things that you can`t change, and help some body if you can!
"Van Zant"
I`d rather be on my Harley thinking about God than in Church thinking about my Harley .

My Tile Work Pictures
lou432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
sandbagger

yep, that trowel put down way too much pookey so I'd definitely wait. You might want to use the extra time to review the installation instructions for Ditra, too.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
PA Logan
DIYer

Thanks for the tips...the one thing new I heard was to fill in the squares with thin set to prep for tiling tomorrow. Should I use versabond again or unmodified thinset?

And while we are on unmodified thinset, the only one Lowes had available was Laticrete Floor Adhesive, is that going to work?

And i guess I should switch trowells too, I have a 1/4 x 3/16 V notch trowell, I probably should have used that under the Ditra, should I stick to that or the 1/4 x 1/4 trowell for using underneath the 13 x 13 ceramic tiles.

This is a great site...you guys saved me from relying on poor Home Depot advice...

-PA

Last edited by PA Logan; 06-14-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Unread 06-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

I don't bother prefilling the Ditra waffles. 1/4 x 1/4 square notch should be fine for the tiles you've got. I'd set the tiles with the Versabond, its good stuff. It will void any warranty from Schluter, if that is an issue for you then get a decent unmodifed. Kerabond should be available at Lowes. I don't know anything about Laticrete floor adhesive, doesn't sound right to me.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
ceramictec

Quote:
to fill in the squares with thin set to prep for tiling tomorrow. Should I use versabond again or unmodified thinset?
unmodified is what you will use on top, and use it to set your tile...remember your only filling the squares, not leaving any on the top.
Quote:
Lowes had available was Laticrete Floor Adhesive
need more detail about this, your not talking about the premixed thinset I hope.
Quote:
I have a 1/4 x 3/16 V notch trowel, I probably should have used that under the Ditra, should I stick to that or the 1/4 x 1/4 trowel for using underneath the 13 x 13
the 1/4" x 1/4" will work under your tile.
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan & Schluter Kerdi board waterproofed showers
Unread 06-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Laticrete has a bagged thinset called "Floor Adhesive". It's the cheaper unmodified thinset.

Myself, I go against the rules and use modified over Ditra. I do give it a couple days to dry out well.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

The Laticrete Floor Adhesive is a Lowes only product. It looks to be an unmodified thinset but I think you could put it on a par with Custom's customblend. Probably good enough to use to put underneath backerboard but I wouldn't use it to set your tiles. You want a premium unmodifed thinset or , if the warranty isn't of concern use the Versabond. Many folks on here have used Versabond to set their tiles over Kerdi and Ditra. It will work fine.

Here's a pic of the Laticrete stuff from Lowes...
Attached Images

jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
PA Logan
DIYer

Thanks Joe and friends, that is the stuff. I think I will keep using versabond and let it dry longer...
Unread 06-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
ceramictec

the bad key word of that thinset was........ "economical bagged"
Unread 06-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Saldibs
Tile Contractor -- Boston North Shore

Send a message via ICQ to Saldibs
You could try to get Ditra Set from some tile store that might have it near you, It's what I always use.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Saldibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #14
lou432
Tile Man -- Southern New Hampsire

Or just go back to Lowes & buy Megabond (its un modified by its self )

White sand+ blue water .
Find the grace in things that you can`t change, and help some body if you can!
"Van Zant"
I`d rather be on my Harley thinking about God than in Church thinking about my Harley .

My Tile Work Pictures
lou432 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase