Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
98Greg

Kerdi Drain Question

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I am remodeling an existing shower using the Kerdi Shower System. The shower is on a concrete slab floor.

My problem is that the existing drain system is too narrow for the Kerdi drain to slide down into. The pipe is actually the exact same diameter as the Kerdi drain pipe that comes out of the bottom of the drain assembly. These 2 pieces basically butt into each other leaving my drain sitting a bit higher than planned.

Should I cut the Kerdi drain "nipple"? or should I just build up the floor to an appropriate level? This will make my curb too short though.....

Hopefully, you have a better idea how I can fix this.

Thanks again.
98Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
rktect

Can you shorten the pipe coming out of the floor? So that the Kerdi drain falls where it should?

They do make inside PVC pipe cutters. I have used a Dremel with good success too.
rktect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
98Greg

Thanks for the quick response.

I bet I could do that.

Do you feel confident that the pipe piece that is cut out is not "stuck" in there by the surrounding concrete? I'm not sure how tightly concrete adheres to PVC. That would be my only concern....although I suppose I could chip it out piece by piece if that was the case.

Thanks again for the idea.
Unread 01-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I wouldn't do anything until you hear from some of the Kerdi experts here.

I take it that currently the concrete slab comes up flush around your PVC drain pipe? You should be able to chip enough out to fit a proper sleeve that would allow you to join the two pieces in a conventional way.

What's inside diameter of your existing drain right now? It should be 2".
Unread 01-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
98Greg

That is correct. The concrete is flush around the PVC pipe. I think the diameter is about 2 inches. I'm at work now. I'll measure it tonight when I get home and repost.

Thanks
Unread 01-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Mike2

Hi Greg.

In order to install the Kerdi drain you will need to break out the concrete around that existing piece of pipe, sometimes referred to as the riser that comes up from the p-trap. Don't know any way around that. And the hole you chip out might be as much as 5 inches in diameter depending upon how high the drain will set off the slab.

Here's a link to a Kerdi Drain rough-in thread found in the Liberry with more details, drawings and pichers even. http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28637. After reading through that, please come back here with any additional questions you may have.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
JTG

Yep
that is what you will want to do. Chip the concrete out around the drain. you can cut the drain pipe off from inside out to get the depth you want so the Kerdi drain will set lower then fill it in with mud and push the drain down into it when setting. Are you going to use the Kerdi tray or a mud bed?
Good Luck
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
98Greg

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm planning on using the Kerdi tray unless you suggest differently.

Not looking forward to all of that chipping, but if there is one adage I have learned over the years it is : "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

That one and my other mantra: "Measure twice, cut once."

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase