Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
c middleton
c middleton

Help...Tile recommendations for Dog Owners

Help! Please.. Any tile recommendations appreciated!

After hours of looking in tile stores and home centers I am more confused than ever about what type of tile to put in our english (?) style house. We have 3 small dogs inside, & I'm about ready to tear out the smelly old carpet myself and live on the slab! Hubby doesn't care...and is leaving the decisions to me... I am about to pull my hair out!

Here are some (known) tile needs as I see it:

-Non-porous
-easy to clean (not too many pits)
-darker grout?
-not too slippery when wet
-economical (as I would like to tile entire house!)

Love the look of the old world Terracotta and the Saltillo tiles, but unsure if it would work in an english (?)style house. Family room has wood block paneling in a warm reddish brown tone and pretty wood grain. Also a fire place runs width of family room. (bricks look mexican.. rosy beige-ish with some cream tones; predomiately beige.) I'm assuming the floor should remain light (currently lt. beige carpet) as the wood is medium dark. Kitchen cabinets are the same color...(currently white linoleum in there)

I really, REALLY appreciate any suggestions anyone has!

Hate to settle for a generic white-ish...beige-ish ceramic tile from Lowes...but right now that's the best idea I have.... too bad house resale is always a consideration too! Also... the man at one tile store suggested using the large tiles.. Would that make rooms looks small? And if used in an open family room... would the same tiles work in the kitchen.. breakfast room ...bathrooms... (that large?)

THANK -YOU SO MUCH!!! (Please forgive my tile ignorance!)

C Middleton
c middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
sgrandjean
Healthcare Consultant and Boxer Rescue Volunteer

Howdy C.

Gotta first name we can use? Right off the top of my head, I'd say the obvious answer is a good quality through body porcelain tile.

Please make some time to find a real tile showroom (moreso than the big box stores). I think you'll be able to see much more there and get a better idea if what you're thinking really works for you when you see it.

Sure, you might be able to find some decent deals at the big box stores, and some of them even have a decent variety. However, I don't think you can go wrong with a real showroom.

Cheers.
Unread 12-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Bugman
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I would second what Scott has said. Also, strongly consider SpectraLock grout. It is highly stain resistant and should not let urine soak in if clean up occurs in a reasonable amount of time after an accident.

We used a through-body porcelain tile in our sunroom with SpectraLock grout and have been extremely happy with the results. We originally had two dogs and a cat that have free access through a doggy door and cleanup has been wonderful.
Unread 12-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi C,

I don't think you can do any better than Clyde's set-up - through-body porcelain tile and an epoxy grout like SpectraLOCK. You're gonna pay for those choices, but only once.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase