Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #16
)-shArk>

Two interior walls and one exterior CBS wall.
)-shArk> is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #17
bbcamp

Quote:
OK--let's say I pour a new floor and extend the drain. Then I use Durarock for my walls and slope a layer of mud for my floor. Can I use Redgard on the whole thing? I mean floor, walls, everything? After the Redgard can you tile directly to it on the floor and if so, will it hold up? I think what I'm wondering is if the Redgard will cure durable enough that it won't tear away with normal foot traffic and expansion/contraction.
Yes, you could do that. Redgard is meant to be tiled on. Redgard has a detail for attaching the membrane to the drain fitting, but many here think it is a weak link. A couple of things to remember: 1) use CBU tape and thinset to tape and mud all the backerboard joints before you apply the Redgard. 2) You will need a setting bed (final slope of deck mud) over the Redgard on the shower floor (that's the way the Redgard people want it). 3) Be careful with the Redgard on the shower floor, since you could plug up the weepholes in the drain fitting. 4) You do not Redgard the setting bed, water simply soaks through it and into the drain.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #18
)-shArk>

Thanks for the response Bob. I am still forming my gameplan and not sure which approach to take when tackling this remodel. I am hoping that I can find some resolution this weekend when I go out into the real world and see what I have avaiable to me in the way of materials. I do know that I can get my hands on Redgard, is there anything else you all feel I should be considering?

Thanks Again---You guys rock.

--Dean
)-shArk> is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase