Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
ragtop69gs

Jay's spring project

Hello everybody

I am back for another bath remod project. I, with the help of this forum remodeled & tiled my other bath 2 years ago it turned out really nice. Now it's time for the other one.

The bath I will be doing now had a 32X32 shower that will be remade in to a 32X60 shower that will be done using the complete Kurdi system. My wife would like to have me do the shower with a water tower on the end wall and if possible not have a shower door or curb. I will need some guidance on weather this is possible without water splashing out of the shower area. The water tower ( I think that's what they call them) will have a rain head, body spray and hand shower. I will be ripping out the old floor & walls and tiling it also, along with a new home built vanity. I'll be ordering John's Kerdi book, any others I should be looking at?

Heres some pics of where I'm at now. I just started the demolition.

That should be enough to get us started.

Any tips on getting rid of the demo'ed tile debris?
Attached Images

Patriot Guard Rider
http://www.patriotguard.org/

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

"We have been doing so much with so little for so long, pretty soon we will be able to do everything with nothing."

Last edited by ragtop69gs; 03-22-2007 at 09:15 AM.
ragtop69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
Marge

Jay, welcome back!

In addition to JB's Kerdi book, you might want to click on the Schluter Systems link to the right. There is a good Kerdi install video located at:

http://www.schluter.com/8_1_kerdi.aspx

Others will be along to assist with your questions. Good luck on this project. Looking forward to seeing more pitchers!
Unread 03-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hello Jay, from a fellow Michigander.

How do you normally get rid of your trash? Do you have one of those bins issued by the trash collector, or can you just put out regular bags?

For my demo debris, I like to use 32 gallon contractor bags that I buy at Wal*Mart. They're plenty thick, and small enough that they are still manageable when full.

If you're limited to how much you can discard in a week, you'll have to do it piece meal, or work out a deal with the little old lady in the neighborhood that hardly throws out anything.

Otherwise, you can rent a dumpster ($$$!) or make a trip to your local landfill. In my neighborhood, we get a coupon for one free trip per year.
Unread 03-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
ragtop69gs

Got the floor down to the joists ( 2x8) 12Ft. span, now it's time to build it backup. I have 2" from the joist top to the carpet in the adjoining hall. For the layer on the joists I am looking at 3/4" T&G which would be better OSB or plywood ? It will be screwed & glued to the joists. Then another layer of ? Then tile on the floor will be a river rock on a mesh back.

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

"We have been doing so much with so little for so long, pretty soon we will be able to do everything with nothing."
Unread 03-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Two layers of 3/4 plus backer board will get your close, Jay.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
ragtop69gs

Thanks John,

So I take that to mean OSB or plywood will be ok. One is no better than the other ?

I'm not looking to get off cheap and sacrifice a quality job. My last floor was over concrete, 2+ years and still looks like new.

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

Unread 03-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
OSB and plywood are rated the same. Both of them have to remain dry. That's all you need to worry about. You could use the Ditra system over the wood and waterproof the whole floor that way. I don't think it's necessary, though.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
ragtop69gs

My tile selection

Here is the tile we are going to use. It is tumbled marble moziac on a mesh backing.

Going over Kerdi shower kit 32X60
1. I'll need to know what type\color thinset to use, this will be on the walls, floor & ceiling. Going for the stone cave look
2. Tips on making straight the corners (inside & outside) with this type of interlocking tile.
3. Suggestions on grout type & colors that will compliment this tile.

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

Unread 03-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
wannaBpro

Jay...hope you didn't lay the ply yet. 2x8, 16" oc with a 12' span doesn't rate for even ceramic. If you sister the joists, you get close to natural stone. Recheck your joists, span etc, so your sure your floor is stiff enough. Good Luck.
Unread 03-31-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
ragtop69gs

Randy
No it's still open joists, still working on the plumbing & electrical layouteverything will get sistered with 2x8 and the span will be cut in half.

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

Unread 04-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
ragtop69gs

Subfloor questions

I'm getting ready to replace the subfloor and have 1 area of concern. I will be putting down 3/4" subfloor with 1/2 underlayment over it, the problem is the area where the old shower subfloor was, the whole room only had 1/2" subfloor I removed it all except where it's under a wall seperating the shower from the hallway. (See Pic)

My plan is to lay 3/4 up to the 1/2" , then lay 3/4 over the 1/2 and 1/2 over the 3/4 in the rest of the room to keep everything level. Will having the top layer different thicknesses cause a problem? Should I lay another 1/4" of underlayment over the whole thing?
There is no way for me to remove the old 1/2" in that 3x3' area without tearing out that wall ( ain't gonna happen )

I await your suggestions.

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

Unread 04-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

You can do what you propose there, Jay. I see you've started to pewt blocking under that joint and that's a good thing. When you lay the 3/4" ply over the existing half-inch, be sure to pre-drill all the screw holes in the top sheet so you'll be sure to pull the bottom one together with it instead of just screw-jacking it down.

Are you still planning on using CBU over the whole thing, or was there another plan to gain the height you want?

Whatever else you do, you do not want any quarter-inch ply in the mix. If you still have a lot of height to make up, another layer of 3/8" or thicker would be fine.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
ragtop69gs

Hello CX

I have 2' from the joist top to carpet level in adjoining hallway so it looks like it will be 3/4 , 1/2 then 3/8 . My tile is 1/4" + ? thinset + some type of waterproofing membrane, all needs to add up to another 3/4 max.

I am still confused on what type of transition to use between the tile & hall carpet. The better half (AKA The designer say's NO marble slabs at the transition.)

Quote:
Are you still planning on using CBU over the whole thing, or was there another plan to gain the height you want?
Would I be better off using CBU or another type of waterproofing membrane on the floor area keeping in mind the finished floor height? Just to refresh your memory, I will be using a 1/4" tumbled marble mozaic tile on the floor & walls. The shower it's self will be done with a complete Kerdi 32x60 shower kit including kerdi pan.

I am already WAAAY over budget on cabinets, plumbing & electrical fixtures so I want to do the floor right in whatever method will minimize cost.

T.I.A.
Jay

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

Unread 04-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, you're just gonna hafta do the math on the various materials, Jay. If you elect to add the 3/8ths ply, you obviously can't use a CBU and meet your desired height. You could use a sheet membrane over that, though (you can't use Ditra with your tiles). Not inexpensive any of those.

You could use half-inch CBU instead of the 3/8ths ply, then a paint-on waterproofing membrane and maybe be close. Lotta variables.

For transition between tile and carpet if the heights are even I always just have the carpet tucked against the tile.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
ragtop69gs

No problem doing the math, just thought you may have had the different thickness combinations committed to memory

Thanks again for you imput

Jay

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase