Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #1
Jackam

Wood Stove Platform

I'm going to raise my wood stove up about 8 or 9 inches. I built a platform out of 2x8s and now I need 1.06 R value between the combustible wood framing of the platform and the stove.

My plan is to put three layers of 1/2" Durock on the top of the platform and then tile. Each sheet has an R value of .39 so I will be good to go.

Should I just screw the Durock sheets down to the platform and then thinset before tiling, or should I put a layer of thinset between the sheets of Durock and then tile?

Also - This wood stove is about 475 pounds. I was going to just rely on the strength of the Durock and the framing of the platform (supports every foot both directions) but now I'm thinking that I should add a layer of plywood on top before piling on the Durock.

Thoughts?
Unread 09-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jack.

You can't rely upon the Durock for any structural flooring strength. Doesn't have any.

Your plan of stacking the sheets would not comply with the manufacturer's installation requirements. You are certainly free to do it if you like, of course, but I wonder just how you plan to fasten each sheet. And I would certainly recommend you use thinset mortar between each layer to simulate the manufacturer's floor installation requirements to some degree.

What is the footprint of this stove?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
Jackam

I'm glad I found this forum!

The stove is 32" wide by 19" deep.

The platform is 44" x 46"

So now it looks like I'll be placing a 1/2" sheet of plywood on the top before thin-setting the Durock sheets. This thing keeps getting taller!

My plan was to use 1 1/4" screws 8" apart. I would then lay down the next layer of sheets and screw them in to the first. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Open to all thoughts, encouragement, and criticisms as well as favorable comparisons to Brad Pitt.
Unread 09-16-2020, 11:48 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

The stove actually has a footprint of 32x19 inches? An entire flat bottom that size?

Can you give us a link to the actual appliance in question? And/or the installation instructions?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2020, 11:58 PM   #5
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Jack.

You would need much longer screws by the time you get to the second and third sheets. Durock won't hold screw threads, so you'd have to hit plywood every time.

Speaking of plywood, 1/2" thickness really won't do the trick by itself. You'd need a minimum of 5/8" ply.

But I think CX is asking what parts of the stove actually touch the floor, and how many square feet or inches that covers. I'd also like to know what the framing is sitting on. You said you're using 2x8's, but you didn't say what is supporting them.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
Jackam

Ah, the agony of the da feet!

The four feet that the stove uses are wide and taper down to about 1/2" x 1/2" where they meet the floor.

The platform itself will be sitting on 3/4" plywood subfloor (which is sitting on 2x10 joists spaced 2' apart
Unread 09-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #7
Jackam

I just looked at Menards. They have a pre-made pad that is 48 x 48 and rated at 1.56 R value.
HY-C 48" x 48" Black Hearth Pad

You guys have me rethinking this.

I should go look at it. I could place it on the platform and then maybe tile the sides. I would obviously have to make the platform a tad bigger.

If I did that, maybe I wouldn't need to tile the sides at all. I'm not sure how much heat the sides would be exposed to.

I'm not even sure how I would make it look good where the tile and the pad meet.

SO much to consider!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase