Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #1
Hamerhead

Sanded grout cleaner porcelain tile

What is the best cleaner to use for refreshing the grout lines on my 16 x 16 porcelain floor tiles. It was sealed after installation about 8 years ago, but has gotten quite dark looking over time. I'm not opposed to manual labor, (if necessary), so scrubbing with a brush on hands and knees is an option, but I want it to look virtually new when done. Looking for the best cleaner?
Unread 05-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Paul,

I don't think you'll find a cleaner that will make the sanded grout joints look like new after 8 years. It's just now going to happen. You can try steam cleaning or a grout colorant.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A recent This olde house show used a mix of baking soda and vinegar applied with a toothbrush...at least in their situation, it cleaned up the grout. Rinse well. The foaming action along with the vinegar seemed to work. This was a fairly light colored grout, and at least on the screen shot, it looked quite a bit brighter when they were done. There are grout cleaners you can buy...don't have any experience with them.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I keep a bottle of Krud Kutter in my truck along with a drill brush (Amazon). It's a good cleaner and is even safe for stone. Like John said, I doubt anything will make the grout look new.

Spray on the cleaner and let dwell. This is important. Scrub with a brush and pick up with a shop vac. Rinse it with clean water and pick up again with vac. I also have a brush that has a handle on it, that way I can stand up when scrubbing.

I've also heard the vinegar/baking soda mix works but have never used it. Even if you plan to use a colorant, I'd first clean the tile and grout well.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 05-10-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
jerrymlr1

I have used a mix of Soft Scrub, Dawn, and Borax with tooth brush and micro fiber rags for years. We have horses and dirty feet make it thru the door no matter how hard we try to clean them.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase