Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
Charash1414

Mold in Travertine?

A friend of mine has contacted me regarding the filled travertine (doesn't look polished) in her shower that has developed black spots. The spotting is primarily in the area of the shower spray. It was has been sealed twice, once at installation and once after about five years. I do not know what kind of waterproofing is behind the travertine. Scrubbing/cleaning the surface does not remove the spotting and it becomes more visible when the surface is wet. Is this mold and do you have any recommendations on how to get it out of the pores. See pics (yeah, I know they're bad.)
Attached Images

Unread 05-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
Gozo

Mold generally is a moist (vs.wet) surface thing. It would scrub off, especially with something soapy or bleachy. That it’s mainly where the water spray is, is odd for mold. The constant wetness and pressure would make it not too conducive for mold to get a toehold (get it - floor of the shower - toehold. Ugh, dad joke).
It might me metal corrosion/rust due to microscopic particles within the tiles starting to oxidize in the water.
How does it do with the usual mold cleaning stuff (Concrobium, Tilex, etc)?
Unread 05-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozo
It might me metal corrosion/rust due to microscopic particles within the tiles starting to oxidize in the water.
Yep, seen that happen more than once.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase