Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
RobinR

Good Sealer for Sonoma Stellar Ceramic?

Hi there - I've installed 3X9 subway tiles but I understand that my tiles are pretty absorbent and should be sealed before grouting. I was going to use Miracle 511 Porous plus but is there a better choice? Is there a preferred application technique or do I just keep it thin? One coat or two? Should I go back over everything (grout and tiles) after it is grouted?

Thanks for any advice.
Unread 04-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Robin,

Miracle is a good brand. So is Aqua-mix. I would grout, let it cure for a couple days and then seal everything. One application will do it. The most important thing is to not let the sealer dry on the surface. Apply, let it rest for a minute or two and then wipe it all off the surface with clean white rags or white paper towels.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Hi Robin,

Their installation instructions specifically mention the 511 PP so that certainly appears to be a safe choice.

I'd seal before grouting, and probably again after. Periodic sealing will be an ongoing maintenance task.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
RobinR

Thanks! What happens if you leave it on too long?
I've read when grouting the floor to make sure it doesn't get on tiles and there seems to be a lot of effort about only getting it in the grout lines. Is this to mostly save product or does it leave a noticeable finish difference?
Unread 04-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If you allow sealer to dry on the surface instead of polishing it dry, it will dry similar to clear nail polish or perhaps cloudy nail polish.

Sealer is meant for porous surfaces. If you’ve got a glazed tile, no sealer will absorb. So, many times a floor tile will be glazed and the only part that can possibly benefit from sealing is the grout. During sealing, you try to keep it only on the grout as a way to not waste it. A good sealer is fairly expensive.

But as far as your tiles, from what I can see, there is a glazed regular finish...and a crackle glazed finish. Which of these two (unless there’s another finish to the tile I’m neglecting to mention) do you have?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
RobinR

I've got the regular finish - but I think they still suggest sealing? Maybe it is for micro cracks or something? It is a very thin glass like glaze. It makes sense that it wouldn't penetrate, yet it is still suggested.
Unread 04-30-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

It doesn't make sense attempting to seal a glazed tile. If it's a glazed (solid, not crackled) surface, no sealer will penetrate.

Might be a great time to call the manufacturer.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase