Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Rory

Kitchen backsplash tile layout help

Im going to be laying a mosaic tile backsplash (1"X1" tiles). My question is do I just tile up to area A, continue through to area B, or even go all the way up the wall in area C to the ceiling?

Tiling through to just area B may look weird with no cabinet above it. Thanks for suggestions.
Attached Images

Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

No matter which way you go, it's a matter of taste, and in the end the only one with the right answer is you.

That said, if it were me, I tend to agree with ending it at the end of the cabinets. However, I've seen several backsplashes where people have tiled past the end of the cabinets at the same level, and it looked nice..... just not my taste, I guess. As for tiling up the side of the cabinet, then I think it would tend to look unfinished, because then you either stop flush with the top of the cabinet, rather than going all the way to the ceiling, or you end up having this weird stopping point flush with the end of the cabinet to the ceiling, unless you want to tile ABOVE the cabinets, as well!

One of those headbone's connected to the neckbone, neckbone's connected to.... kind of things.

I'd stop flush to the end of the cabinet, or bring it over to the end of the wall, at the same level (bottom of the upper cabinet).

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
kevin n.

I usually go two or so inches above the level line of the bottom of the cabinet. And I go to the wall, tiling area B. But I like as much tile as possible. In my own kitchen I put tile above the cabinets, too. Overkill to some, but I liked it.

If you can get or make some bullnosed material of the same type as the mosaic, you can use that to cap off the mosaic. I've never been a fan of all those one inch grout lines exposed. I'd rather use 4, 6 or 12" bullnose pieces.

Pencils are also good in this situation. Gives a more finished look to my eye. But like Bill said, it's what is pleasing to your eye or more importantly, whoever is boss in the kitchen/house.

"Have saw, will tile."
http://www.kevinatileguy.com
"If Pro is the opposite of Con, what is the opposite of Progress?"
kevin n. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Rory

Appreciate the suggestions...thanks!
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase