Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-18-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
jphavener

This all started as a side job

Well, like the title says, I started doing some tile here and there, for friends, and then friends of friends, and you guys know how it goes. Well, since I am unemployed I have considered turning it into a livelihood.

I was wondering about getting some materials that I can use(such as John's book) to expand my knowledge in this area. I try my hardest to make sure that I do things correctly and I sure don't want people upset with my work. You guys have any suggestions?
jphavener is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-18-2003, 04:57 PM   #2
bbcamp

Do you have the Tile Handbook for the TCA? The lastest version is now ready to ship. www.tileusa.com
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
jphavener

No I don't have that. Exactly the kind of stuff that I am looking for though, thanks!
Unread 03-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think my book is a good one if you're interested in mud work. I cover it better than any other source out there. I think you should also buy my good friend Michael Byrne's book. Michael and I don't agree on a bunch of things, but he knows how to do tile work for sure. It's a good book. Both books cover layout in different ways, so you'll get a sampling.

It just happens that you can get a package deal at Amazon, my book and Michael's book together for one low price. Michael just loves the arrangement.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...223625-5015819
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 09:56 PM   #5
drew
Remodeler, North-Central Missouri

John,
You forgot to mention gettin the bonus pack gets ya that extra special free shipping!

Michael likes that arrangement? Bet his accountant doesn't.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
Mark Twain
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 10:17 PM   #6
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Jp

I wish I would have started here http://www.tileschool.org/
Best money you could spend for correct knowledge. The tca handbook is great as is John and Micheals books.

The other greatest thing I ever discovered was at Coverings. I haven't been there yet but I bought all the past three years tech/industry seminars on tape and CD. It was cheaper than going to florida and I listen to them over and over at work . A few familar faces on the board here have parts or are featured speakers. Dave Gobis has several, and Andy L is on one for Felker. I found them here http://www.coverings.com/onlinestore/

Good luck
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 11:18 PM   #7
jphavener

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I have quite a bit of reading and course taking ahead! All great information. I have John and Michael's books both on the way now. I am also now looking into the classes from CTEF. I had no idea that there was anything like these organizations. Sounds like some very good places for me to start! Thanks again!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase