Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-19-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
smasher

Send a message via ICQ to smasher
My brief intro...

I was crusing around sites the other day just for laughs, and I came upon this one.

My name is Dave, I'm 28, a full-time cop, and a part-time tile guy.

I started in the tile business back in my senior year of high school. An ex girlfriend of mine called up one day and said that her dad needed a hand with labor type of work and he'd pay $7/hr. That was huge back then, so I jumped in.

Her father was a former union tile mechanic who went out on his own. In his and my opinion, as well as others that he worked for, his work was second to none.

I was basically a grunt for the first 2 years, mixing mud, mixing thinset, grouting like a madman, laying subfloors, making cuts, etc. It was a long time before he trusted my skills enough let me comb and set.

So, for the next 3 years, I continued working for this guy on weekends, school breaks, and full time during the summer when I was off from college. Then I became a full-time cop and didn't have to worry about waking up sore anymore.

He was relentless with his attention to detail, and even the slightest misstep on my part was ripped out and replaced.

So I learned a lot from this guy. I learned the basics and some of the intricacies of the trade. I was never really good at levelling a floor with mud, but my setting was adequate, strong, and lasting. I was his most efficient grouter probably because I was fast and clean about it.

When other guys were begging for work, he had to turn it down, which is saying something.
smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:05 PM   #2
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Welcome aboard Smasher, join the melee.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Hiya Smasher, Welcome.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 05:10 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Glad to have you, Dave. We already have an official police chief, though, so I guess you'll have to be a tile setter.

Sounds like you know your stuff. You can help us answer questions over in the Advice Forum. Just don't go telling anyone they can use mastic on their shower floor, okay?

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 05:44 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Amendment.

I usually start here when I come on the boards, so I was not aware of what had gone on in the shallow end when I posted above.

Dave,

You're still welcome here, and we're happy to have you, but you will have to do a little lurking before you offer advice in the shallow end. We try not to confuse the weekend warriors over there. They have a hard enough time what with the advice they get at Home Depot.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 08:12 PM   #6
smasher

Send a message via ICQ to smasher
Wink

Fair enough.

I'd never tell anyone to use mastic on ANY floor fyi. Walls though, they're a different story.
smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2003, 09:27 PM   #7
Rob Z

Hi Dave

In what city are you handing out the wooden shampoos?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase