Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
Stacie

leaking tile balcony

I have an 8' x 10' tiled balcony over my garage. It's leaking down into the garage...on the ceiling, interior and exterior walls. Also I see paint peeling along the ceiling beam, that is where the door threshold to the balcony is. I need to take out the tile and start over. Well, not me, but SOMEONE. My question is, do I use a General Building Contractor? I am afraid I may have structural damage in the garage. The house is 22 years old (I have lived here for 6), and I believe it's the original balcony. I noticed a some leaking into the garage a year ago when we had severe winter rains. This year, during another severe rain last month, it leaked badly all over the garage.
I have read some of the posts on this site, and I'm beginning to understand the tile process with waterproofing. I am in Shell Beach, on the coast of central California. Thanks in advance, for any advice.
Stacie
Stacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-19-2006, 01:45 AM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hello Staci,
It sounds like you do indeed need a general contractor, as water has a funny way of doing a lot of business before we ever get a chance to see the show. If you don't know of one, you might check with Matt Clark Tile & Stone in San Luis Obispo. Matt is a forum member and a very knowledgeable fellah and he's got a beautiful showroom of tile. He should know of a name or two for you to consult with.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hi again Stacie,
I just remembered that my wife's General Contractor uncle is living in Atascadero, just around the corner from you. I'll see if I can reach him and find out if he's got time in his schedule. If so, I can put the two of you in touch?
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
Stacie

Thanks Shaughn, that would be great.
Stacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Staci.

That Shaughnn is a helpful child, is he not?

Good luck.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Stacie,

General contractor for the bulk of the work, but make sure he hires a qualified tile setter for the waterproofing and tile installation. You don't want to end up with the old hot mop method of waterproofing tile substrates.

You might bone yourself up on Schluter Ditra and Troba.

http://www.schluter.com
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

Sheesh. Everyone here hates hot mop don't they? Actually, this would be a very good application for hot mop.

I treat exterior tile balcony just like a shower--preslope of 1/4 inch per foot sloped away from the house, a hot mop (just like they still do for roofs, by the way), run the tar about 2-3 inches up the wall) then a setting bed of dry pack, then tile. 90% of the problem is usually a lack of slope.

If there is no wide overhang for the area, I would have the contractor counterflash the intersection between the tar paper under the exterior stucco or shingles and the hot mop. Water has a way of getting behind stucco and exterior shingles.

I'm not a big Shulter fan, although Troba, a drainage mat would be perfect here. under the setting bed and over the membrane.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase