Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
chrisb5180

Cement Backer Board

I have just finished putting up cement backer board in my entire shower area. Can I now start to tile the area or should I apply something to the backer board first,
chrisb5180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
chassis

Chris,

What is behind your backerboard? You need a vapor barrier somewhere in the wall construction. If you have builder's felt or plastic sheeting behind the cement board, all you need to do is tape/thinset the cement board joints and you're ready to start tiling. If you don't have a vapor barrier behind the cement board, you need to add one in the form of a membrane such as RedGuard, manufactured by Custom and available at Home Depot. Tile can go on the wall after ther RedGuard is dry.

You'll probably need to tape and thinset the cement board joints before RedGuard.
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
pgabriel

Redgaurd...

Will,

Red gaurd isn't available up here in the NorthEast. The giant orange cube store gave me the "that product doesn't exist" look. Then they offered what is called "DryLok" which is a masonry "waterproofer" but it's main use is to paint on basement walls to prevent water from getting in.

I am wondering if this is the same thing, and can I use it with confidence.

----
"A day in the corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every gathering a parade. I LOVE the corps!"
pgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
Rd Tile
Tile Man

HD has it, it's in the tile isle.

DO NOT use Drylock for tiling.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
Andrew21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgabriel
Will,

Red gaurd isn't available up here in the NorthEast. The giant orange cube store gave me the "that product doesn't exist" look. Then they offered what is called "DryLok" which is a masonry "waterproofer" but it's main use is to paint on basement walls to prevent water from getting in.

I am wondering if this is the same thing, and can I use it with confidence.
WHAT!?!?!? Don't ask anyone for the product in the 'orange cube store'. Just go in the tile area and look for the Redguard. You can't miss it. Its about $38.00 for the bucket.

Andy
Andrew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
chrisb5180

Tiling a Shower/Tub Area

I just finished putting up cement backer board in my shower area. What is left to do before I can start tiling?
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
bbcamp

What have you done so far (besides hanging the backerboard)?

It helps us if you keep all your questions about your project in one thread, even if you move from one phase to another. If you decide to tile a different area of the house, then start a new thread.

While you are here, go ahead and bookmark this thread so you can find it again. Add it to your Favorites.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
chrisb5180

I have just put the backerboard up with no vapor barrier and I have not taped anything.
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
bbcamp

Ok, tape and mud the joints with alkalie-resistant backerboard tape and thinset, then coat the entire shower, excluding the floor, with Redgard, a waterproofing membrane by Custom Building Products (should be at HD).

Pay attention when you mud the joints. Feather out the thinset as much as you can to prevent speed bumps on your walls. It will make tiling much easier weth flat walls.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase