Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
collinsclan

Shower cultured marble discolored

We live in the Cypress Texas area and have a custon house about 6 years old. The shower in the master bath is white cultured marble on walls with a glass enclosure and door. It is fairly large, guessing 4' by 3'. On one side is a marble seat 12" wide x 22" high from shower wall to shower wall. The seat was framed with untreated lumber with a solid piece of similar cultured marble for the top and front. It was sitting on top the shower floor.

Water was always getting behind the seat and after numerous problems, I finally removed the seat and black rotted wood.

We can live without the seat, but the marble on the shower wall where the seat was removed is a faint yellow color , not matching the rest of the white cultured marble shower stall.

Any thoughts on what caused this and how to get the white color back?
collinsclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Collin, Welcome!

You probably have a window not too far away. UV damage. It is what it is. Nothing that I know of will get the color back. The gel gloss mentioned in your other thread may help revive it though.

Now's a great time to think about converting to ceramic tile or stone!

Please try to keep your post's together. If this one starts to get confusing, I will merge them. Right now its getting good exposure though.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Isn't there a polish for cultured marble?I don't know the name,but a cultured marble shop may have some for sale.I think he's talking about the area under the former seat,John,right?

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Dave

That's what it sounds like to me.

Hi Collin

Can you post a picture, or give us some more details. Have you tried the Gel Gloss yet?

It might even be soap buildup. Then a high alkaline cleaner would break that down, along with a white nylon pad. Don't use the green ones or you'll scratch the surface, and never keep it clean.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
collinsclan

I have not tried anything yet. You are correct in that the only area that is discolored is the marble on the shower walls that were covered by the seat.

I will try to post a picture.

Collinsclan
collinsclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase