Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 06-05-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
LadyGodiva

Birthday/Father's Day

In my next life I will marry a guy who does NOT have his birthday in the same month as Father's Day!

Gerard's birthday is 14th June. So far, I've gotten him the usual stuff but would like to add something that he doesn't have yet...

An iPod. Don't know the first thing about these gadgets and would like to have some input please from you men. What do I look for? They seem to come in a wide range of prices like everything else. Is Apple the best?

For Father's day he's just going to get clothes
LadyGodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
LadyGodiva

Don't tell me that you men are just as CLUELESS as I am about iPods? So many visits and not one bloody response?????

Not even a 'hi' LG
LadyGodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
JTG

Have you never seen the tile guys radio? Usually from the thrift shop. usually only work on one channel. Those Ipod things you would have to know how to download music to it etc. Most of us a pushing the envlope just being on this site and being able to download pictures.
Get someone to mowe the lawn, wash the windows and car. then fill the refer with beer and brats and leave him alone for a day. Come home late afternoon and show him how much you love him, maybe even take out to dinner. It would be a good Fathers Day.
J

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Or in our cases, get someone to do the grout cleanup

Jason
Unread 06-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
i just bought a IRIVER 20GB-I love the thing ,so far I have approx 500 songs on it with another 400 to down load.I went for one on the larger side so i could put alot of what I own on it.It will hold approx 5000 songs..PLUS photos, voice records.Has all the same accosories as IPOD with the option of down loading from other sorces besides APPLE at a 1.00 song..Napster has unlimeted down lots for 25.00 for two months then you can cancel.I can down load a lot of songs in 60 days!! BEST BUY $259.00
Unread 06-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
TN Tile Guy

My inlaws got my husband a job site boom box for his bday a few months ago...

Bosch PB10-CD Power Box Radio with CD about $170 at Amazon (may be cheaper elsewhere, I didn't check)

He loves listening to his CDs while at work, and went through a lot of regular cd players. What makes this one different is that it will play MP3 CDs, so it will hold a ton of songs and he doesn't have to open the cd slot in the dusty environment. It sounds great. Even has a battery in it to keep the time, so when you're at a job and plug it in, the correct time is shown.

But since he doesn't do much on the computer, I will put the songs on the cd for him. I don't mind.

I hope Gerard has a happy birthday! --- Amy
TN Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think Jerry has come up with the best idea. Beer, brats, leisure. It doesn't get much better than that.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
MarcusEngley

LG,

Quick notes, from someone who doesn't have an iPod:

iPod is Apple's brand-name gadget. The fact that people mistakenly call everything an iPod speaks to their current market-share! They're pretty high quality, but pretty expensive, like most Apple products. They make the iPod Shuffle now, which is tiny and holds a lot of songs. If your husband has a huge music library the Shuffle might not be enough, but if he wants to throw a 100 songs on it and change them out from time to time, it might be a good choice.

There are other high-quality players out there, but I'd go for the Apple if I were buying one (and I may). They're a little more expensive, but are pretty darn well designed...

My 2 cents!

Marcus
MarcusEngley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

My birthday is june 17, fathers day is the same weekend and our
anniversary is june 20. My poor wife got the short end of the deal

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #10
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

Get the iPod. I currently have a shuffle, the 1g model. It will hold a little over 250 songs. Depending on the size of the songs. I usually load it up, play it at work through a cassett adapter. Will refresh the playlist about every 3 weeks. Of course, I also use it at the gym in the mornings.

The other iPods will allow much more than just music player. For instance, the iPod Photo is a 60GB storage device. You can keep music, photos, and even regular files on it. The shuffle will allow you to use it as a USB jump drive. Great for moving files from one location to another. Both the iPod and iPod mini have an actual harddrive just like a computer. They are quite stable while using them, good buffering.

Oh yeah, if you can get a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation iPod, it can be hacked and loaded with linux. What does this mean, your ipod can be booted up and used as a linux based portable computer. (This is probably more than you wanted to know.)

One important note, all of the Apple based products are set up so that songs that are loaded onto them can not be downloaded onto another computer (not sure if you are doing it through file sharing). Once you want to change the playlist, the songs on the iPod are deleted. Your copy on the computer is safe. It is Apple's way of fighting illegal copying. You will need iTunes to access the iPod, it is included for those that are on a PC. It is standard with all the macs. Also, it supports ACC (Advanced Audio Coding), which is a smaller file and better sounding than an mp3. That is how Apple says a 40 GB iPod can hold 10,000 songs.

If you have any more questions, post here or PM. Also, try the Mac Addict Forums. Do a search on this site for iPod and you will find out all you want to know, and some more.

HTH

edit: Watch some of the unlimited sites. You can download unlimitedly as long as you pay the monthly fee. Once you cancel, the songs are no longer accessible. Of course, there is already a hack for napsters program. If you buy the songs, they are yours forever. Or until your computer crashes and you forgot to do a backup. I know everybody does regular backups of their computers.

Last edited by tileguynky; 06-06-2005 at 07:50 PM. Reason: additional info
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #11
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

Speaking of short ends. Dec. 25 is Christmas and 1 week later is New Year (Russian holiday). On January 8th is my birthday, 9th is my Father's, 10th is my brother-n-law, 11th is my sister-in law, 12th is her husbands and the 22nd is my Mother's. Talk about a rough 2 1/2 weeks.
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 10:29 AM   #12
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
BEEN DOWN LOADING FROM NAPSTER TO MY MP3 PLAYER..I CAN EVEN DO IT!! 200 MORE TO GO..USED THE LIST OF SONGS FROM OUR LOCAL RADIO STATION "FROM A-Z.. Picked up the car gizmo that will broadcast it to a FM station.
Unread 06-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

My kids disowned me.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 10:50 PM   #14
NVC
Tile Contractor -- Napa, CA.

Kids = beer and brats?!!

Let's see, if each kid gives 1 beer and 1 brat . . . geez, 12 kids are needed, plus the write-off . . . plus one to work the grill (perhaps I'll name him pyro?) Unless we're talking 'tall-boys' here, then I could get by with 10 (including Pyro)

Maybe just an over-achiever, we'll call him 'Keg-boy' just hypothetically, and his sister "Pig in the ground"

Yep, I think two will do just fine.

I need to get going on the fam damily, I just wish I had of known this sooner . . .

Mark
NVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #15
oakview
Retired Moderator - Owned by two rescued greyhounds

RE: what do I look for...

Back to your original question, I just read a news article about this kid who started a site devoted to the IPOD, and I quote, "The world's leading iPod resource for news, reviews, forums, tips, tutorials, downloads and more." Comes up second only to Apple.com in a Google search.

Sure the IPOD costs a bit more, but as I've heard right here many times over, you get what you pay for. The IPOD has more accessories and dodads to enhance an already good product, and after all, he's worth it, no?

Visit the Lounge for everything IPOD: IPOD Lounge
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?." -John Wooden
oakview is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase