Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-10-2022, 01:35 AM   #1
shonuff66
Sho

substrate approach for plank subfloor, porcelain tile

Looking for advice on (1) substrate approach for my subfloor situation, (2) recommended grout width.

Porcelain tile (8x48 and 6x36) is going in my kitchen/dining etc. See attached picture of plank subfloor (house is from 1966). Contractor is saying he either wants to:
1) put hardieboard down (screwed or nailed), thinset, tile
2) put 1/4 plywood down (screwed or nailed), thinset, ditra, thinset, tile

He doesn't want to put thinset right on the plank subfloor. I assume he's concerned about ruining the subfloor (for future remodels it will make it difficult to remove thinset from subfloor, perhaps ruining it). I assume he's also concerned about unevenness, but he didn't mention this.

We live in the bay area (earthquakes happen).

Tile is not rectified. I'm asking for 1/16th grout gap. Based on what I read, I suppose 1/8th is the right approach?

What's your advice on the substrate approach and grout gap?
Attached Images

Unread 06-10-2022, 05:14 AM   #2
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Hi and welcome to the site!

First thing to do is verify the floor is suitable for ceramic tile. Please use the Deflecto tool in the blue bar to enter the unsupported length, size and spacing for your joist. You need a minimum of L/360 rating for ceramic or porcelain, higher is better for earthquake zone.

Second: Regarding the floor preparation, I recommend a minimum of 5/8 structural T&G plywood screw over the existing plank (screwed/no staples); 3/4 would be better. Best case would be to remove the existing planking and attached directly to the joists. If you applied over the existing planking you will still need to screw directly to the joists, as the existing flooring has no more value than semi-inert spacers.

Third: Flatness - The floor does not have to be level but it does have to be very flat. Per the TCNA…

Quote:
For tiles with at least one edge 15” in length or longer, maximum allowable variation is 1/8” in 10’ from the required plane, with no more than 1/16” variation in 24” when measured from the high points in the surface.
Let’s work our way through these topics and then we’ll discuss whether it’s best to use concrete backer board or another product such as Schluter Ditra.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions that may come up!

Last edited by PC7060; 06-10-2022 at 06:23 AM.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2022, 07:07 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
PC shonuff has ya covered, but you didn't mention how thick the planks are, nor if they are tongue and groove.

Given the age of the house those planks are nailed to the joists, likely without glue. Thee very first thing I would do is screw the planks down using construction screws. 2 screws per plank at each joist.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
shonuff66
Sho

Thank you for the fantastic advice! What a great forum!
Unread 06-10-2022, 01:40 PM   #5
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
PC shonuff has ya covered
Ouch, that’s bad!
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Guidelines for minimum grout line width is 3x the min/max of the tile involved. Stand a bunch of them up on edge, find the tallest, and the shortest at any point along that edge, calculated the difference and multiply by 3. I seriously double 1/16" will work! And, that makes setting the tile without lippage exponentially harder.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase