Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
PaulEdmonton

Kerdi Board - Cement Board - Gypsum?

Hi there,
I have read through many of the posts and I have a question. I'll be constructing a new house in the Spring and want to build a tiled shower. Is there any suggestion as to what's the most suitable substrate for the tile? Is Greenboard with a Kerdi membrane sufficient or would you recommend using cement board with the Kerdi membrane. I'm just wondering why you would need to use cement board if the Kerdi membrane is waterproof?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.
Paul
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

Drywall is the manufacturer's recommended substrate. Plain drywall, not greenboard. Greenboard is regular drywall with a water resistant coating applied to it. You might think that it would be slightly better than plain drywall. But the water resistant coating is extremely minimal. And the fact that the coating is something of a "bond breaker" that diminishes the bond to it, it's not worth using. I'd only use greenboard if the code in your municipality demands it.

Some folks really, really want to use cement board. If you feel compelled, go ahead. But the membrane is indeed waterproof and you should feel comfortable using the manufacturer's recommendations when they are the folks issuing a very solid warranty.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Bodie Powers
Retired cabinet maker/remodeler

For added insurance, we always use CBU for the wet wall up to the shower head regardless of the waterproofing system. The concern is not a leak in the waterproofing but a leak in the plumbing and it's potential impact on the substrate.
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

yeah i did the drywall on 5-6 Kerdi showers and then went back to the CBU.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Depending on local rules, some will give you grief using drywall even though the manufacturer recommends it and has test data to prove it is more than adequate. It works just fine either way. Regardless, don't let the drywallers mud the joints in the area where the Kerdi would be going. The Kerdi membrane works better, and drywall mud isn't the greatest thing underneath it with the thinset. KerdiBoard works too and then you only need to band the seams and treat the screw fastener penetrations.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
hts.alaska

Nothing wrong with kerdi over a cbu. The manufactures of green board asked to be not included in the code. If they don't want their product used for showers, why would anyone else?
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

Condensation or plumbing leak as said above are really the only two ways your drywall could be damaged from behind.

If you are concerned about this than use Kerdi- board. But drywall with Kerdi properly installed will work beautifully.

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
PaulEdmonton

Thumbs up

Great advice you guys! Thanks so much! Will let you know how the build goes, just in the planning stages right now... Although cement board is a lot heavier and more of a pain to install, I will be going this route for the whole shower area and covering it with the Kerdi membrane. Thanks again, greatly appreciated!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase