Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Johnmus

Removing glue from drywall

Hi all,

The kitchen remodeller installed a 6" granite backsplash, however the old cabinets and backsplash were 1" higher, so now I have 1 inch of brown glue/damage drywall on top of the backsplash. The installer did not remove any glue residue after the demo and just glued the new backspash to the drywall. Any ideas how to remove this glue? The backsplash is sealed on top to the wall so scraping with a knife might cut into that. I thought about installing a 1 x 1/4 thin piece of wood on top of the backsplash and paint to match the wall.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
gsr

John, I assume the glue is raised above the surface of the drywall or else it wouldn't be a problem and that the top of the backsplash is caulked to the wall. You say the drywall is damaged which I take to mean that there are holes or low spots. What kind of glue?

If you can't get the glue to disolve and flatten out you will have to mechanically remove it by sanding, scraping or carefully peeling a little (not all) of the paper from the drywall. You may not have to remove all the glue but knock the high spots down by half.

I'd remove the caulking and tape/protect the edge and counter. Remove/smooth as much of the glue as possible without further damaging the drywall. Skim a layer of drywall compound on and sand smooth to a feather edge (might take several coats). Prime, re-caulk the top of the backsplash and paint.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase