Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-04-2022, 08:08 AM   #16
Ferrcad

Hey Joe,

I'm installing the same Moen Smart shower in our remodel. Look for the Ferrcad thread to see some of my photo's of the Electronic valve and access panel. I got a access panel off of Amazon that worked great and have it in our walk in closet. Give you a little hint, when setting up the app and controller make sure your connected to your wireless system on your phone using 2.4 ghz or you may run into issues getting it to connect. You can bench setup that all before installing. Take the valve and controller and plug power into the valve and then data cable to the controller. Then do the setup. Had it done in 5 minutes also allows the system to do firmware updates. The current will be 3.0.24 in the app under settings. If your going to water test before finalizing, make sure to turn on water saving so you can switch between head and sprayer (one on/off). I found out the hard way... Let me know how goes for you.
Unread 05-04-2022, 08:27 AM   #17
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
I have a 72in x 38in doorless shower with 4ft wide piece of glass that goes all the way to the ceiling so I have a 2 foot opening.
That is the look I am going for as well. My opening will be wider though in case of mobility challenges in the future. I haven't priced the glass yet but I am sure it won't be cheap.
jgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2022, 08:29 AM   #18
jgleason

Thanks Brian! I'll check out your thread.
Unread 05-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'm still a bit concerned with the structure under the shower, Joe. Ripping down a 2x10 to 2x8 size does not yield a 2x8 of the same grade. And just adding another 2x8 sister across the length of the rip may or may not get you back to the structure with which you started.

I can't see in your drawings what you are left with for unsupported spans on each side of your central support. Some of the concern is just old-school training about ripping structural components, which essentially says, "Just don't do that."

Your situation might be fine, but I think you should give it substantial thought.

As for the door opening, I would also want that to be smaller. Certainly prudent to consider the long-term potential for the need for a wider opening, but a fella would always have the option of removing his glass and replacing it with a smaller piece when the time comes.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2022, 09:14 PM   #20
jgleason

There is a beam running north/south about a foot to the east of the centerline of the shower area. To the east is 12' to the next support beam. I doubled up on the sisters for the two joists that were affected. Because the main floor outside the shower is being built up to accommodate my radiant heat, I only needed to drop those two joists by 1 inch. It feels solid to me, better than without the sisters. It may not be according to Hoyle but I'm ok moving forward with it.

I did add the PEX loops in the shower floor area too. Deck mud will be done this weekend. I ended up with two KerdiLine drains to get the full length. Schluter allows end to end installation, so I have a full length drain along the south wall of the shower.

Now my problem is that the floor tile we want isn't scheduled to get here until July 11. I'm hoping that date moves up since I am still planning on hiking the Appalachian Trail starting June 20.
Unread 05-14-2022, 03:22 PM   #21
jgleason

Had to cancel our floor tile order since it wasn't going to be shipped until July. I'm trying to get this project done by mid-June, or earlier. We picked out some 12x24 marble porcelain for the main and shower floor. In stock at Lowes.

This is what we were going to use:
Name:  2022-05-14 17_19_58-Supreme Tile Corola 8_ x 9.25_ Porcelain Wall and Floor Tile & Reviews _ Way.png
Views: 105
Size:  663.2 KB

And this is what we can get now:
Name:  2022-05-14 17_21_54-Satori Statuario Polished 12-in x 24-in Polished Porcelain Marble Look Floor.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  20.1 KB
Unread 05-14-2022, 09:51 PM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

You're fixin' to hike the whole trail, Joe?

Unread 05-15-2022, 09:45 PM   #23
jgleason

Yep, the whole trail. There is another possibility though - I have an application in to run another theatre (hard to pass up the opportunity). If that comes through, then I will probably only have time to hike the 460 miles in Maine and New Hampshire.

Made another change in the selection of tile. Decided on a hexagon porcelain tile with a Carrera marble look.
Unread 05-16-2022, 07:31 PM   #24
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Joes - Wow, only 460 miles. Easy peasey!
I’m in the same situation regarding shower floor tiles. Which tiles did you select? I found some at Lowe’s I liked but not available in enough quantity to get the right lot match.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2022, 11:00 PM   #25
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, geeez, only 460 miles, why bother?

Unread 05-17-2022, 05:02 AM   #26
smifwal

How many days to hike the 460? Are you going at it in a now stop fashion or camping every night and just looking to get some miles in during the day?
Unread 05-17-2022, 09:22 PM   #27
jgleason

Hey PC - yep, at Lowes, plenty in stock here in NH. This is the hex version we will go with:
Name:  2022-05-17 23_14_41-IMG_20220515_142218949.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.png
Views: 78
Size:  725.2 KB

As for the hike: If I don't get the job, I'll stay retired and do the full trail starting 6/20. That will be 2,194.3 miles. If I do get the job, I will need to negotiate a start date for the job and hope to get out on the trail to get some miles in this year. Pace on the trail varies but I don't plan on dawdling or taking a lot of "town days." I want to get out there and hike a comfortable pace. Average miles per day goal is 20. Some days will be much shorter than that and others much longer.
Unread 05-20-2022, 07:18 PM   #28
jgleason

Finally got the shower slope done. Been a while since I've done one of these. I liked only needing to slope in one direction to the linear drain!

Name:  IMG_20220520_161103217.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  37.1 KB
Unread 05-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #29
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, almost feels like cheatin', eh, Joe?

Unread 05-21-2022, 05:19 PM   #30
jgleason

Just ordered a bunch of Schluter profiles- Jolly for the outside edges of the shower side walls, Deco-SG to set the 3/8" glass shower panel, Finec-SQ for trim around the niche, and ShowerProfile-WS for the opening into the shower.

Now I am waiting on the plumber to do the rough-in work.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase