Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-25-2006, 02:13 AM   #1
Jay C

Look what Costco is Selling

I'm floored to be honest, I would have never thought they would be selling Suntouch heating mats.

What's next, slabs of granite? Anyway, maybe someone will find this link useful.

FWIW,
Jay

Last edited by Jay C; 03-25-2006 at 02:40 AM.
Jay C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-25-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I wonder how helpful the employees will be on the mats.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
dawn68

Talking

Actually, I read in Costco's monthly magazine that they will be selling corian/silestone/granite at some locations!

Dawn
dawn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Why not, they sell cars, cruises and insurance already. I can already imagine the thousands of square feet of floor tile that will have to be ripped up because the heating mats were damaged during installation.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

the warming mats are on aisle 2 next to our dignity.
Unread 03-27-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
suzannemeyer

Heat Mat Question

I'm new to your site. It is very interesting and informative. I am researching various projects I will be undertaking in the near future (actually, someone else will be undertaking for me ). One project is tile floor in kitchen and dining room, likely with a heating mat because space is over the garage and tile will be cold. What does Shaughnn mean that he "can already imagine the thousands of square feet of floor tile that will have to be ripped up because the heating mats were damaged during installation." Damaged during installation due to inexperienced installers, or due to inferior product?

Thanks!
Suzanne
suzannemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Suzanne, Welcome.

I think he's alluding to the fact that Costco has no one versed in the proper installation of the mats and of the tile above them. They are selling a product that is usually installed by pros.

Now don't get me wrong. We are a do-it-yourself site, and we advise people in fairly advanced applications (includig in-floor heating). Unfortunately, many of the folks buying the kits at Costco won't be aware of sites like ours. They'll be entirely on their own.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hi Suzanne,
John's got it right. I'm imagining throngs of moms and dads checking out of Costco with floor heating mats just like I've seen throngs of moms and dads checking out of Home Despot with a flatcart full of 12" tile and a bunch of buckets of mmmmmmmastic. I'm imagining mats being shorted out due to improper testing. Mats being stapled and cut and steped on during installation. I'm imagining trowels slicing through mats. And I'm imagining all of it done without regular testing of the circuit to make sure that it's still sound. In the end, a lot of DIYers are gonna have an awful experience with this very fine product and they'll blame the manufacturer instead of themselves. In the end, it's another black eye for the tile trades.
Without somebody to guide most folks, they'll dive in before they understand how things work. I know I do.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
NVC
Tile Contractor -- Napa, CA.

Pie-rate, You didn't happen to see the price/sq.ft. did-ja?

Mark

EDIT: Nevermind, just clicked the link. Pre-made sizes, the controlers are more expensive, but the mats run about 7.99'ish sq./ft. which is cheap if a guy(or gal) happens to need that exact size. In otherwords, kinda worthless IMHO.
NVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
Guru of Warmth

Send a message via Yahoo to Guru of Warmth
You get what you pay for - kind of...

So, SunTouch is selling in CostCo?

As a professional in the floor heating trade I'm also a little worried.
Shaughnn is correct - there will probably be a lot of installation problems. Not be cause people are stupid, but because they haven't been given the right guidance.

The prices of the SunTouch "Premier Underfloor Heating" mats are as follows:
$7.24/ sq. ft. for the 27.5 sq. ft. mat (11' x 2.5')
$8.00/ sq. ft. for the 22.5 sq.ft. mat (9' x 2.5'), and
$10.40/sq.ft. for the 12.5 sq.ft. mat (5' x 2.5').
SunTouch was traditionally a blue wire on a springy orange mesh, so for this CostCo product they changed the colors. The wire is purple and the mesh is white.

WarmlyYours offers a similar product to the SunTouch with prices that are marginally higher - any heating mat up to 50 sq. ft. is $12.00/ sq. ft., and anything over 50 sq. ft. is $10.00 per sq. ft. (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price).

Hang on - that means WarmlyYours is more expensive. Does it?
WarmlyYours will work with you on your project;
help you by getting expert floor heating engineers to design an installation plan for your room;
make customized changes to the design & quote until the heating coverage and price is exactly right for you;
answer all your questions and those of your installers with friendly 24/7 installation support and find the answer to any technical question you might have; and
ship your order the same day.
On top of all of this service, you also get a product which is easier to work with and it gives you 25% more heating power in the same area.
You also get lifetime technical assistance with your purchase and a 10 year warranty which will cover the entire cost of the floor including covering materials and labor if the WarmlyYours mat is found to be defective in materials or workmanship. Try getting CostCo to pay someone to replace your floor free of charge becasue the heating mat stopped working after years of service.

So which is really costing you more? Hours and hours of guess-work, head-aches and grief with a SunTouch mat from CostCo, or a custom designed system from WarmlyYours with all the support that comes with it?

I like CostCo, but it's not the place I would go to for radiant floor heating. Stick to the floor warming experts.

Click the link to WarmlyYours at the bottom of the page for a free DVD and to get started on planning your project.

www.WarmlyYours.com
Guru of Warmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

that picture has all the instuctions you need hold your trowel at a 45 degree angle, a 3/64th inch trowel for heavy thinset coverage and spread grey stuff...i think they call that grout oh and on top of plywood too and staple the matt securely to the floor with a duofast 775 stapler.....thats should have you coved..... and fire up the mat the next day for electricution i mean uh warmth

(i was being sarcastic)

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #12
Splon

Warm tiles by easy heat

I just installed a product from Easy Heat called Warm Tiles. This is the wire not the mat. As you are talking about square footage, I purchased a wire that covered 60-65 sq ft and the cost was roughly $190 and thermostat was $105.

The good thing about Warm Tiles compared to other manufacturers of the same product is that you can dead end this product as it doesn't have to loop back to the thermostat. Pretty easy to install and I thought the prices were reasonable compared to the other prices I was seeing for the mats.
Splon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Apples and oranges, Shane. There is a distinct labor savings when using mats. There is also less chance of injuring the wires.

What is the warranty?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #14
Splon

I guess I overlooked the labor since I was the one that installed it. It wan't that hard but I did have a quote for $350 just for the labor when it only took me a couple of hours to put the strip down and run the wire. You are also correct on the injuring of the wires if you are not careful.

The warranty is 15 years. Warranty
Splon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #15
rddrappo

Costco has been selling wood flooring for a couple of years now. I guess they figure tile is no different. Looks like Home Depot has some competition now on helping people waste money and products.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase