Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
jmmco

Rebuilding a shower

I am rebuilding a shower that was leaking through the walls. I am just a homeowner who is willing to try to fix things, but I have not done this job before.

I have the walls down to the studs and am getting ready to go back in with Durock cement board, new tile, etc. I want to replace the existing pre-molded shower basin or pan. However, it appears to have something like poured lead around the PVC pipe drain that will be very difficult to remove. How do I get this thing out of there? Maybe there is a trick that I don't know.

I would welcome any advice.
Thanks,
John Madden
jmmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-27-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John, Welcome aboard.

If it is lead you need to chop it out with a small chisel or an old screwdriver. It's not easy, but when you get it down a ways you should be able to pry up on the receptor and get it off the drain pipe. I don't know whether you've tried the search, but I know there are other posts on this problem. Also, read all the articles in the Liberry.

And of course we're here to answer questions whenever.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
Boilermaker 98
Boilermaker

Do you want to save the drain pipe or do you plan to replace a section later?

If you are able to replace a section, take a hacksaw blade and cut the put in three or more places and use a chisel or screwdriver and a hammer to pop the pieces of plastic out (they will probably crack and go every which way so wear gloves and safety glasses)

After the PVC is removed and you have exposed the lead ring, saw it in 3 or more places and beat out with hammer and chisel or screwdriver.

Brian
Boilermaker 98
Boilermaker 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
jmmco

Thanks, I have been trying to chisel it out of there. It is very slow going! So I may try to cut the PVC pipe; I should be able to replace a short section of that later, hopefully. I can't really see what is under the pan, but I must be able to get to the pipe.
Unread 10-29-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
jmmco

I got the lead out of there. Basically I just needed to chisel away and once I got a side kinda low, I could get some leverage with a large screwdriver. Then i could use the screwdriver to pry up the lead ring, which started to give away. It wasn't really as hard as I thought it would be. Got it out in about an hour, and I was able to save the PVC pipe, which I should be able to re use. Thanks for the advice.

So, now I can move on to the rest of the rebuild. I have it all taken down now. I will try to get a picture up here. This is my first shower rebuild and I may need some help as I go along.

Thanks again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase