Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-25-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
UPEngineer

Rebuilding shower using Kerdi & have questions

Hi my name is Scott.

I have read these forums for a while now and my confidence level is getting better.

I have gutted my old shower which leaked and rotted and took it to the studs. The shower is on a concrete slab. I chipped the concrete away at the drain and got my riser pipe the right height for my new Kerdi drain.

I am using a Kerdi tray for my floor of the shower. I know I need to attach the drain to the drain pipe and secure it to the tray with thin-set mortar.

My question is this: When I put the drain in the tray and secure it to the drain pipe with PVC cement, how much time to I have to level the Kerdi drain in the thinset mortar? I'm afraid that the glue will set before I can level the drain.

Or is there an easier way to do this step since I don't have access to the drain assembly after installation?

BTW, I just bought John Bridge's book and all I can say is it is one of the better books I have bought to teach how to tile. Thanks

Scott Alexander
Chickasha, OK
UPEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi ya, Okie.

Scott, tell me what a UP Engineer does, will ya?

The key to the matter is getting the Kerdi-tray set level and firm. The drain then simply gets pushed down into the recess of the tray. It can't be anything but level if the tray is installed properly (level) and the riser is cut to the correct height, which should provide about a quarter-inch of wiggle room so there is no chance of the riser preventing the drain from going all the way down. There is a full inch of glue surface inside the drain to allow for a little bit of adjustment.

So when the tray has been set and all of the above has been set up, smear thinset either on the bottom of the drain or into the depression in the tray. Then apply pvc (or abs) glue to both the inside of the drain and to the outside of the riser pipe. Push the drain down snuggly into the thin set. Make sure it goes down all the way and wipe the extra thin set from the perimeter.

Easy, eh? I've gotta tell ya I've never done it. I've never used a Kerdi-tray.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
UPEngineer

Thanks for responding so quickly John,

I am a locomotive engineer for Union Pacific Railroad (I drive freight trains for a living).

Your solution sounds easy enough. I just figured it would be more to it than that. It sounds like even I can do it

I almost went the mud bed way but my wife is hounding that is taking too much time already and I am too nervous about trying it. You know how that is

Again thanks for the reply

Scott
Unread 11-25-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Geez, I'll bet you're one of the guys that causes all the traffic commotion during morning rush hour by driving your 150-car freight train through at 1 mph.

Hang in there. You can do the Kerdi. It's a great system as long as you don't try to do it as quick as they do it in that video.
Unread 11-25-2004, 12:42 PM   #5
UPEngineer

Yeah I'm one of those guys.....we do our best

Although, I'm a pretty popular guy. I get waved at a lot even though it is with just one finger

Well I'm gonna try this shower project and if I have any questions I'll be sure to ask.

Scott
Unread 11-25-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Ridin the rails...clickety clack clickety clack.Yeah,we're a bunch of kids,we're probably more interested in your job than you are of ours. Bring on the questions.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
LonnythePlumber

Messing with Plumbers

Bridge are you messing with me by saying you have not installed the Kerdi? I have not taken the time to research and understand the schulyer and kerdi systems but I thought they were preferred.
LonnythePlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #8
RCraig

Thumbs up LonnythePlumber

Lonny, Major idea for my leak problem, see Phantom leak on this site. I realize this is but I just had to tell you and saw you were here. R
RCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2004, 07:23 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I said I have never used the Kerdi-tray, which is the foam shower floor. I do mine in mud.
Unread 11-26-2004, 07:36 PM   #10
rstreet

Scott,

I'm installing the kerdi system in my shower and have used the kerdi-tray. I put it down last week and it went in real easy. I spent quit abit of time before securing the tray that I had everything lined up and the drain was level. It wasnt hard, I'm just glad I spent the extra time doing the prep work.

BTW, I lived in OKC for 38 years before moving to Florida 5 years ago. The family still lives there so I get back often to see them. I have some friends in the Chickasha/Verden area.

Randy
rstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Randy, maybe Scott will drive his choo choo train down to Florida and blow the whistle for you.
Unread 11-26-2004, 10:02 PM   #12
UPEngineer

Randy,

Who are your friends in Chickasha/Verden area? I probably know them...I've lived here 30 years and I was police officer in Chickasha for 12 years before joining the railroad.

Scott
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:12 AM   #13
rstreet

Ron Moody, he used to own the South 81 fuel station.
rstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #14
UPEngineer

Randy,

I know them well....I traded with him when he was at 4th & Grand before he moved to the south side.

I know his son or step-son I should say, Rodney Peters....he is good friends with me since he is on the fire dept and I was on police dept.

Small world.

Scott

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase