Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #1
shovelhd

Subfloor/underlayment options for ceramic tile reno

I am replacing around 300 square feet of ceramic tile in a kitchen, hallway, and foyer. The old tile was 1/4" thick, laid with thinset on on 1/4" luan stapled to the subfloor, and it's all ripped out (that was a joy). The subfloor is 3/4" T&G plywood. The joists are 2x10 SYP on 16" centers, reinforced with wood cross braces. Deflecto roughly L/824 and L/555.

I am down to the subfloor, and I'm looking for advice on how to build up the new floor. I am going with 1/4" ceramic tile, 12x12, contractor grade. The low match points are 3/4" hardwood. I see a few options that will work:

1. 1/2" CBU
2. 1/2" plywood underlayment tiled directly to it
3. 3/8" plywood and Ditra
4. 1/4" plywood, and either Ditra or 1/4" CBU

I've never worked with Ditra. I tiled an upstairs bathroom with 1/2" Durock and 12x12 tiles and it came out great. No issues. I'm leaning towards going with what I know.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris
Unread 01-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome aboard Chris.

Given what you've described I don't see any reason you'd need anything more than the 1/2" CBU atop your 3/4" subfloor. Of course you'll have to embed that CBU in thinset mortar and screw it down per the manufactures' fastening schedule.

If total height is an issue you can also use 1/4" CBU. But whatever you do, you don't want 1/4" ply in the mix.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase