Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
JHarbinson
Residential Remodeling GC

Kerdi Board With Mud Pan

I apologize if this has been asked and answered but I wasn’t able to find the specific answer via search. I’ve always done my showers with a pvc pan, floated mortar bed and the cement board or floated walls. I’m contemplating using Kerdi board on the walls but was thinking due to cost I’d do a typical PVC and mud pan and use the kerdi board on the walls. Is that a thing?
Unread 01-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

It's a "thing" if you want it to be, Justin. No reason it wouldn't work if you wanna pay for it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
JHarbinson

Sorry for being “cute”. I guess what I’m wondering is would it be an okay solution to set the kerdi board in a traditional manner, having them inside the pvc pan and bottoms buried into the pan mud. Just like using cement board but better from what I understand. Or is it just smarter to build the whole thing with kerdi? I think what’s scaring me away from the latter is the high cost of kerdi.
Unread 01-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

I was not at all commenting on your choice of descriptive, Justin, my point was that if you wanted to do that it was simply your choice.

Unread 01-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #5
HilltopRehab

I'm looking at this option as well, for the purpose of a non-centered drain.

Apologies if you already considered it and are asking specifically about the use of a PVC liner and preslope technique, but Schluter has instruction and a youtube video for using Kerdi with a mud base - use a Kerdi drain instead of a clamping drain, build the mud base around it, sloped to the Kerdi board walls, and then waterproof with the Kerdi membrane. No PVC liner.
Unread 01-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #6
Mathman

I won't pretend to try to translate Cx's words. He has MUCH more knowledge about these things as I do. But...(we all know where this is going) I think he is telling you of course you can do anything you want! But, Kerdi board and the kerdi system has instructions and procedures to make a successful install. If you can find this method of construction in Kerdi's manuals, then yes. If you can't find it then, also yes, you can do it. Just don't be surprised when it doesn't work. But, it could work!
I would guess kerdi board is as waterproof as cement board. So, $100 4X8 kerdi board instead of 2 or so 3 by 5 cement boards for 20 bucks or so.
Is that the plan?
Unread 01-19-2021, 06:22 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Kirk, KerdiBoard is waterproof, as opposed to CBU, which is not.

The KerdiBoard could, in fact, be used in lieu of a CBU in Justin's case. No qualifiers there. Nothing at all that I can see would prevent use of KerdiBoard in that application. All the manufacturer's requirements for installing the KerdiBoard would need to be followed, of course, including the requirements for waterproofing all the fastener penetrations and seams and such. It would work just fine used with a traditional receptor. I know of no requirement that it be used only in conjunction with a Kerdi receptor, although that would be the more common application.

That the same installation could be done far more inexpensively using a moisture barrier behind a CBU installation is certainly something I would recommend Justin consider, but that's not what he asked, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you're going to make a make a mud pan, why not use the Kerdi Drain, some Kerdi over it, and make the whole shower waterproof? The foam pan works if your floor is already flat and level, and is approximately the right size already. A mud pan is fine and many people prefer it. Then, you only need one mud bed, rather than two and the liner.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
JHarbinson

That’s exactly how I have always done them. Waterproofing over studs, cement board into the pvc pan with the ends of the board buried in the mud. The reason for considering substituting kerdi board for cement board is the waterproof aspect of the board being buried in the mud, in the pan. I know there’s concern with some backer boards and having them into the pan (constantly wet) area.
Unread 01-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I'm with Jim (Post 8). If I were going to use Kerdi-board on the walls, I would go ahead with a Kerdi drain and Kerdi over the floor mud. I see no advantage and not much cost savings in using a PVC liner and clamping drain.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase