Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Tilehelperdan

Unusual mud floor; Anyone seen this before?

House was built in early 1960's and the floor is original. Area in question is a foyer over a crawl space. Tile was a patterned slate; it was poorly bonded but not cracked. Pulled the tile to find this.

Name:  ZOE_0041.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  31.2 KB

Okay, the slate was mud set. Neat but nothing too exciting. The mud bed is obviously unusable, so we set to tearing it out. This is where things got interesting. We found the mud bed to be 2 1/2" thick with no subfloor under it. Nothing. Lath over joists then mud.

Name:  ZOE_0042.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  ZOE_0044.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  37.5 KB

The way the lath was attached is interesting, too. All the nails were driven half way then layed over. I assume this was to pull the lath as tight as possible.

Name:  ZOE_0043.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  69.2 KB

The mudbed is immensely strong and appears to have been a fairly rich mix. A hammer and chisel won't even chip it and the demo hammer is slow going.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Any ideas on why? All of us were stumped. I can't see this being a positive in regards to saving height; the floor was still so thick the wood floors abutting it were put in on sleepers. The rest of the house has dimensional lumber subfloors, including a powder room which was tile.

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
-"Invictus" by William Ernest Henley
Tilehelperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
CCDIYer

Why did the customer want to pull out the slate? With a mud bed like that it was obviously built to last. Natural slate doesn't go out of style IMO.
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Cant say I've ever seen anything like that. Did they put down a scratch coat first, then came back and applied the top layer of mud?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
koihito
A person, like you.

I've seen that done in a handful of homes around here dating from the 30's to mid/late 50's. It was basically a rich concrete scratch coat that is anywhere from 2" to 5" with a an equally rich fat mud brown coat. The stuff is brutal to demo!

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, the imprint in the mud shows that they beat the slate into it. Before thinset days.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Swedes Tile

Should of left that down!
Cx, what does your book say about that? Does that meet industry standards?
Swedes Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Tilehelperdan

I saw no sign of a scratch coat. It looked like one solid bed. I really want to know the reasoning behind it, though.

Unread 02-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

That's a new on for me too. I'm bumping this also hoping someone can say "why".

BTW, what are you doing messing around with tile, Dan? I thought you were gonna be an engineer or something high-fallutin' like that.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Tilehelperdan

I too am curious. How did they get on it, how did it last so long, why would you do this. Lots o' questions. They also buried conduit in the mudbed, so the electrician had to swing by when that was found by a demo hammer. All the floors in the house are wonky. Everything is on sleepers or three layers thick.

Machinist, Brad. And I was. It was an interesting and profitable venture but I had no passion for it.

Unread 03-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I have never done it without a subfloor underneath, but otherwise the method was commonplace back in the day. Mud was spread only as far as one could reach, tiles were laid over a pure cement slurry or dry cement sprinkled with water (two or three coursed depending on tile size). They were then beat in and checked with a straightedge. The next pull was then floated.

The deck mud is not hard packed and troweled as it is placed. It's left a little fluffy, so that it reaches up and makes total contact when the tiles are beaten down into it. The method is especially effective when setting slate and other uneven stone.

I'm guessing that there would normally be a subfloor, but maybe on this job the project was behind schedule, and some ingenious tile setter came up with a work-around?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
RipRap

Seems like the lack of a subfloor would be an advantage when beating in uneven tile - the more you beat, the more mud could be forced through the lath - allowing you to get it level even when starting with extra mud ?

the problem might be that your already level areas would get pulled down when working adjacent tiles?
Unread 03-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think a scratch coat of fat mud was allowed to dry and harden before the deck mud was floated over it. Deck mud would go right through the lath otherwise.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
koihito
A person, like you.

Around here that scratch coat is actually concrete.

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Saw this type thing in an Old banks entryway once...It was interesting because they had actually sloped it also..The tile was soaked and Beat into the mud..we tore the tile out as it was pretty rough...There was one area of mud we had to tear out as it had broken up...we refilled it and used a bonder, then we skimcoated everything with keralastic and set new tile...It was the first I had seen that but i had heard of it from an old timer....
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

As a kid I remember my dad bending his nails over. He always said it was to keep the next guy from cussing him too much. Sometimes he would bend the nails to tighten up the lath, that was on walls. Could be what they were doing on this floor.

I hope that's on the bottom floor. If not, looks like a chunk of mud could go thru the ceiling down below.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase