Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
DavidTu

Plumbing rough-in need your bestimates

We will eventually be installing a natural stone tile in the shower and on a wall backing a clawfoot tub. We need to set our rough-in plumbing valves and nipples at the right setback from the finish wall... which begs the question: how thick will the various layers end up being?

For the standalone shower we will have regular 1/2" sheetrock, Kerdi, thinset mortar, and 3/8" thick natural stone 16x16" tile, what are the thicknesses of the various layers from the studs to the finish surface?

For the tub wall (this is just a wall behind a clawfoot tub--not a tub surround--and no overhead shower), the tub filler is wall-mounted... so 1/2" Densshield, thinset mortar, 1/2" thick 16"x24" natural stone tile, what are the thicknesses of the various layers from the studs to the finish surface?

I'm sure there is some room for variation... just need your best guess for now.

Also, what is a good guess for a shower pan thickness? Right now we have 16" o.c. 2x10 floor joists, and 3/4" T&G sub-floor. (The shower is an odd L-shape so I don't think we can use the Schulter shower pan product and would have to use a traditional methodology.)

Thanks!
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

For plumbing purposes in the shower i'd figure 1/2" for your sheetrock, 1/8" for thinset and kerdi, another 3/16" for thinset, 3/8" for your stone. (This is being generous with the thinset/kerdi thickness, and stingy with the 3/16" thinset number if your walls aren't pretty flat)

Id guesstimate you'll have 1/4" of thinset under that stone on the tub wall (again, a little depends on how flat your walls are). So 1/2" + 1/4" + 1/2" from the studs out. And I'd give serious thought to some waterproofing here, even though its not a shower. And I'd waterproof the floor as well.

For the shower pan thickness, theres no set answer.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

What Brannigan said plus add to that any out-of-plumbness you'll have to build up for

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Natural Stone is Pretty Vague.....I have seen some Slate that you would get into trouble using that 1/2" + 1/8" or 5/8" for tile thickness ( or the above for studs out which would be adequate for Most polished stones and tumbled stones but there are exceptions.

Now, there is One other thing..Are you Dead set on a Natural stone in your shower???
They can be a maintenance Headache and with the options out there in Porcelain that look so close to natural the average joe wouldnt know the differance, I would consider saving your wife the extra work.

Seriously, the Stone will not add an appreciable amount of value over a Quality porcelain. It is more difficult to install, particullarly for a DIY'er, It is More expensive to Purchase, Install and Maintain.

Think about maybe using a Natural Stone as feature bar instead....it will add color and grain, leave a minimal headache area and will really POP while adding to the overall aesthetic look of the shower.

Up to you of course...just trying to save you money, time and Work without taking away from the end appearance and value gained!!
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

As a non-pro, what I did was make up a test board with all my various layers. That gave me an exact thickness to work from. I was very glad I did it as it showed me I would need to shim out my valve wall to get the right depth for my trim.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase