Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 04-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Kilauea
LT

Major disaster!

GC is requesting I bust up some of my tile because of concrete trapped in the pipe below the toilet.Apparently when they were pouring the slab,they poured concrete in the toilet pipe and it wont flush now.

Everyone is trying like crazy to resolve this issue.Tonight theyve poured hydrochloric acid hoping it will snake out.If that doesnt work,they want me to take out tiles so the concrete guys can bust into the slab.Im thinking major disaster.Ill know tomorrow if the acid worked.

Im thinking of some type of heavy duty snake connected to a chipping gun or something like that.Im sure this has happened lots before.Any suggestions,guys?

Thanks.

2nd generation tile installer
Kilauea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I'd call that a minor disaster on a commercial job.You're lucky,they usually blame it on the tile guy.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Ken
welchtile.com

My suggestion is.. you get paid to tear out the tile, patch the floor for them.. replace the tile and grout it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing something twice as long as the reason you're doing it a second time is a result of someone elses fault.

As far as acid eating the concrete, good luck.. you would have to have such strong acid that it would end up damaging the plumbing.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Just another phone call in the commercial world Every clogged drain is the tile guys fault
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Ken
welchtile.com

When I worked out on my own, prior to the place I work for now, I had a GC blame me for a clog in a toilet drain..

I kindly asked him to have a plumber snake a camera with a light down.. we still couldn't tell really what it was. Next step was to cut up the concrete in the 95% finished building.. they did.. opened up the pipe.. and low and behold it was concrete.

Boy, did I get one hell of an apology.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Kilauea
LT

No,its not my fault.They have photos to prove who was at fault,the concrete guys.There is no argument on either end.I just wanted to brainstorm for another option.Ive submitted my bid and charged accordingly.Id really like to explore all options.

The way I look at it,they (concrete guys) have already displayed carelessness from the get go(who tf pours concrete down a pipe?).When they jackhammer down to the pipe up Im worried about spiderweb fractures goin elsewhere.

Unread 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

cha ching

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Ken
welchtile.com

LT,

I know it wasn't your fault.. I was just sharing my story.

What did you use for installing the floor? Any membranes? What thinset? What kind of tile?
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Kilauea
LT

Quote:
What did you use for installing the floor? Any membranes? What thinset? What kind of tile?
posted by Kurgon

XLT

No membranes

18x18 porcelein

I dont wanna tangent too much,Im really looking for a solution to just address concrete stuck in the pipe.

Thanks for the replies
Attached Images

Unread 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Old World Tile and Marble

i thought you guys were pros? go to dal get a medium box of miracles.. you will be a hero... o and back charge the concrete guys.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
ckl111
Home Builder

Quote:
Im thinking of some type of heavy duty snake connected to a chipping gun or something like that.Im sure this has happened lots before.Any suggestions,guys?
The problem is that anything that breaks the concrete in the pipe will probably blow through the pipe too.

The acid is the way to go since it reacts to the lime in the concrete to weaken it and shouldn't harm the PVC pipe.

Is this new construction? How the heck can you "accidentally" get concrete into the toilet flange? Shouldn't it have still been capped. If the idiots had half a brain, they would have flushed it out right away as soon as it happened.

Last edited by ckl111; 04-23-2012 at 08:56 PM.
ckl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
Hank B.

Jackhamering would be stupid, cutting the slab means you have new cold joints to deal with. hope the acid works. Dealt with this situation lots doing commercial work and usually the jackwad that places the concrete patch has a much different idea of what a subfloor to recieve tile should look like than we do. Usually i'll bring a grinder and a couple bags of slc, could go either way.
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Don't sweat it LT.

Like K_Tile said,just another day at the office in commercial.
Charge accordingly for the rework. If your feeling real spunky,have the GC sign off on you coming back to replace any loose tile and back-charging the concrete guys for it if the acid dont work.

Reminds me of this fun one. We get the bathrooms all done on a friday,come back on monday and we find one of them tore up in pic one and two. Seems the plumber screwed something up and needed to rework the pipes under ground. He fixed the pipes and we re-poured the concrete and fixed the tile.
He asked me if i was mad. Said absolutely not,you just made my truck payment for the next 4 months!
Attached Images

evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

LT, I had the same situation come up on a job about 15 years ago. I told the plumber to use some Muratic acid and maybe it would release the concrete. I knew it was a long shot but some how it worked. I doubt this was a complete 100% clog but the toilet wouldn't flush at all.Well, the acid did the trick. It looks like there still would be a big chunk of concrete that had to get flushed down the pipe and how it goes down is beyond me but I guess it did. We dumped most of a gallon and let it sit.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
What is on the other side of the walls? Is there a chance of tunneling under?

I'm glad Davy's episode came out positive, but burning up actual concrete is going to burn/melt the pipe (I think).
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase