Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
calgarytile

basalt tile installation

New to this blog but extremly interested in what the final result was in portland's house. I have just had 1000 sqfeet of hone gray basalt tile installed in the last week in our new home. It looked great initially but 7 days later we are now seeing the results similar to that you had seen. We have thinset trowel marks, as well as the square pattern of the underlay coming through to the surface. My contractor is telling me that the tile is just needing to dry out but frankly, I am about to have all of the cabinets installed into this brand new house next week and if I have to have it all removed I want it out NOW before the cabinets arrive and make it just that much more difficult to remove

The tiles were not sealed prior to installation but they were installed by a professional tile installer... who claims he has never seen this before. Do you think this is a installation issue or a tile issue? We are going to have to make a decision regarding this in the next few days so any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

The tile is laid on plywood flooring - an orange underlay with one inch squares in it - followed by thinset - the grout was applied about three days after the tile was laid.

Interestingly enough, at one point the installer laid his 5 foot metal ruler across the entrance to prevent people from walking on it and the ruler left a mark on the floor that is still present 5 days later.. I wonder if all of this could have been avoided by having the tile sealed on both sides prior to installation.

HELP!

Re: This thread.

Joel

Last edited by cx; 04-26-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Add link
calgarytile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Joel.

Posting your questions on that other fella's thread is likely to get you more confusion than anything else. Best to have your own project thread. I'll put a link to the other one in your post for reference. That thread's owner hasn't been back since last December, by the way. You might try a PM to him, which might generate an email if he's set his parameters for such.

But to begin we're gonna need some photos of what you have.

And we'll need to know what thinset mortar was used to install the stones over the Ditra.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
calgarytile

basalt tile installation

Thanks for the suggestions CX. I have some photos which I will attempt to upload today. I will be asking the tile installer what type of thinset mortar he used this morning.

Name:  photo-18.JPG
Views: 1842
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  photo-17.JPG
Views: 1834
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  photo-16.JPG
Views: 1872
Size:  25.1 KB
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Do you know what materials were used to set the tile??

On closer inspection of your photos it appears you grouted these tiles.

Basalt tile is recommended as a butt joint installation. I expect dry times to increase dramatically with grouted joints.

You might try using a dehumidifier and Seal off the area with plastic sheeting so you draw moisture only from the area that is tiled.

Keep it sealed as Much as possible.

Last edited by tileguytodd; 04-27-2012 at 07:06 AM.
tileguytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
calgarytile

basalt tile

Yes the tile was grouted about three days after the tile was laid. We discussed the butt joint with the tile installer and we were told ' that is not how we do it in Canada' (!) I am trying to find out what kind of thinset was used on this tile and will know more this morning.

We tried using a heat gun on one of the areas of the dramatically marked tiles and after heating up the tile considerably there is no difference in the tile.

We have also now heard that the tile should have been
1) washed first and allowed to dry
2) sealed ( I am guessing both sides of the stone tile?) before being laid and then again after being laid.

I just wonder if our installer is up to the task and should we be looking at getting someone else to repair it or remove it and reinstall.

Thanks for you suggestions.
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
calgarytile

thinset used

HI there
You had asked what kind of thinset was used. Leicht-Flex-Fliesenkleber servolight : Extended Coverage Flexible Thin set Mortar

The tile company who supplied our stone and the installer had a tete a tete today. ... there was a lot of finger pointing but given our time line we have asked for them to remove the lot of it and start over with a different selection of stone tile. We are going to have to source out a new tile after having selected this one months ago.

If you have any suggestions as to what to do with the current tiles. Let me know...they will still be in place until next week

Joel

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase