Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Kerdi or Hydroban?

I'm replacing tub/shower in a client's home with a shower only. Pretty straight-forward installation with a corner bench, niche and mud floor.

I've finished tearout and framing ready for wall covering. Originally my thought was to use Hydroban because I've been given free rein by customer and I was interested in giving it a whirl. Kerdi I've done before so I know what to expect there.

Wall tile is 8x20 in a horizontal brick pattern with a narrow liner near top, floor 1x1 mosaic. Centered drain.

I'm second guessing myself and considering reverting to Kerdi, partly 'cuz wallboard is easier to deal with and never having used Hydroban before I get a little concerned trying something new.

Two questions:

1. Any words of wisdom from the fine minds here that would steer me one way or the other?

2. If I go Hydroban, should I mesh tape and thinset cement board to mortar floor juncture when I do backer seams?

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hydroban is a good product if used correctly..

Yes, use the mesh tape OR laticrete has a fabric you can get that is similar to kerdi band.

Dish out around the drain and run the hydroban up to and over the drainflange as you would a normal pan liner..Add your screw down drain and set to height.

Next morning float in the dish and finalize drain height for tile thickness...If its a square drain make sure its squared up with the shower walls.

We used Hydroban on a Motel Convention center/waterpark in town a few years back...cant remember how many showers but it was around 60 or so 5 x 7 showers.

I liked the Hydroban better than any other trowelable membrane product i had used up to that point.
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Thanks Todd, good to know you like it.

If I go HB, I'll use their new drain if I can get one

http://www.laticrete.com/contractors...uctid/146.aspx

or Kerdi drain, so no divot.

Unread 04-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Hydroban it is...installed Durock Friday.

Question on curb. My plan was to build a lumber core, cover in Durock, mesh tape and thinset all changes of plane.

In watching Laticrete video and reading some here it looks like many build the curb when mudding the floor by extending mesh over it.

Any problem with my proposed method?

Unread 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Peter, the metal lath and fat mud are necessary to construct a curb using a waterproof liner and mud bed in the traditional shower construction.

Your method of CBU over wood framing is fine when covering it with a direct bonded waterproofing membrane (HydroBan in your case).

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

neither fabrics are the same. the Kerdi Band is a thinner non-permeable fleece same
as Kerdi and Laticrete has a fabric in which the HydroBan can penetrate.

Laticrete also says there is no need for fabric in the corners. some still use it.

so dont use Kerdi-band in your corners with HydroBan since it probably wont dry under it.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Next Puzzle

Here's my next challenge. Client chose the pictured liner. I'll be running a single strip around shower at approximately 6' off floor. My question is how does one grout this stuff? Grout is Custom #101 Quartz (biege) sanded. 1/8" grout lines elsewhere.

My initial thought was to float grout over everything and use a small brush to clean this up, but never having done it, I don't know know if that's recipe for a pain in the rump or not.

Ideas / techniques appreciated.
Attached Images

Unread 05-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
ceramictec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbidetooth
My question is how does one grout this stuff?
you dont, not all tile is made to grout or be used in a wet area.

not all designer or architects know this either and certainly homeowners dont.

you need to tell them it will look ugly and be messy grouted.

you should also tell them of the consequences of using it in a wet area not grouted.
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

You're right of course, Brian. I was hesitant when they originally showed me their choice...for all the reasons you're indicating. I regret not pushing the issue harder. It's often a balancing act as I'm sure you know and she's very committed to this particular liner.

I'm going to grout the sample just to satisfy my curiosity and provide them a visual to go with my renewed reccommendation against it.

Unread 05-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
reefone
tile setter

i hate liners like that and the kind with deep ridges that the grout seems to just wants to go to. i carry a small scrub brush with me for these types of liners.
Unread 05-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

What Brian and Jerry said. There are lots of good options out there right now that are fine in a shower and look very similar to what you have. I'd show them some and try to persuade them to do what's best for them, long term.

Btw, what part of the world do you work in? Maybe a little more info in your profile would help us all to help you.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Dana, I call Boise, Idaho home. Cabinetmaker turned remodeling contractor, primarily interior.

Brought tile into my repertoire 'cuz its interesting to me and I see so many premature failures. Particularly showers...in the last year or so I've looked at five or six that were just stupidly built and failing as a result. This in homes less than ten years old, one as new as four years. We live in a 1964 model with original shower which I use every morning, so that's my benchmark.

This job is almost a full meal deal bathroom but only went to the studs where bathtub was removed to make way for a more accessable shower. I'm doing all except electrical and vinyl floor.

Where are you in WA?

Unread 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

I'm in our states capital, but work takes me all over western wa and beyond.

Here's just 1 option to consider for those mosaics. They're 5/8 x random, 1/8- joints and fairly flat on the faces
Attached Images

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
ceramictec

Peter,

that tile would look great as an un-grouted accent on a backsplash in a non wet area.
but I wouldn't push it or try to use it in a shower area. it can be done and I'm sure you'll
see it used in pictures somewhere. but are they willing to have you take 3-4 hours to grout
it with your fingers extra super carefully ? $$maybe$$they$$are$$

Name:  AO_DE91_1.5x12_Shoreline.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  20.6 KB

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase