Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Lardog

Seamclips on medium size tile

Hello,

I am a first time DIY’er working on a bathroom remodel. I am ready to start tiling the shower alcove and plan to use 4x10 subway style. I have just discovered Seamclips and they seem great for large format tiles like the 12x24 tiles I will be using on the floors. My question is, will these seamclips greatly benefit me or simplify my installation of the smaller wall tiles or are they too much for tile this size?

Thanks,
-Larry
Old 12-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Might possibly help, but they may force you to have a larger grout joint than you want. Are the tiles self-spacing with tiny nubs on the edges?

If the surface is flat and the tiles are as well, I wouldn't use them....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

If your wall substrate is fairly flat and thinset application reasonable, I don't think you'd find it all that helpful on the 4x10. Much "subway tile" has a pillowed edge anyway which tends to conceal small discrepancies in tile height..

The floor is another story and I suspect you'd find it worthwhile.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
Lardog

Thanks guys. No built in nubs on the tile. Plan on using 1/16 spacers. I think the walls are reasonably flat, but not perfect. What does "thinset application reasonable" mean?

I expect I'll just do 'em by hand, and use the clips on the large format floor tiles later. Whole project is on hold at the moment, however, as I discovered my exterior wall has moisture from somewhere. Having a guy come out to look tomorrow. Gotta be either roof or siding issues. This is a 2nd floor bathroom with no plumbing on that wall or above it.

Sigh!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
mark999

You will have a better and easier time if you get your walls and floor as flat as you can. Do not use the little white soft spacers on the walls. Find some hard spacers or the horse shoe type spacers if you are not going to use the clips.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Lardog

Thanks Mark. I got some of the horseshoe spacers and the delay for fixing the siding issue gives me extra time to ensure my sub surface is nice and flat. Will take advantage of that time and make sure it is right.

Kind of related question... What do you guys recommend (and why) for the corners? Grout or silicone/caulk?

I plan on white/white tile & grout. In the corners, do you guys normally fill with grout, silicone, or some combo? I assume the same for main wall corners, as well as those within the niche?

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #7
Kman

In a wet area use 100% silicone. The latex acrylic caulks won't hold up in a shower.

Is this a pre-formed niche? If so, I would have no problem grouting the corners. If you framed it yourself, use silicone. The pre-formed units probably won't expand and contract as much. Worst case scenario, if the grout cracks you'd have to remove it and use silicone.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Last edited by Kman; 12-13-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Lardog

Thanks Kman. It is a self framed niche. 100% silicone is what I meant and plan on using.

So, do I silicone these corners first, then grout? Or vice versa?

Thanks again guys.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Grout first...let dry and then caulk........

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:06 AM   #10
Lardog

Cool. Thanks Laz!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
Lardog

Pencil tile edge install questions

Hey all. Finishing up my shower surround tile and am about ready to install the edge trim. I plan on using 1/2" thin pencil tile edging but am not sure how to install it, with thinset or other, like construction adhesive? The reason for my confusion is that the tiles are so thin, I'm not sure there is enough for the thinset to grab onto. Pix below show my tile edge as well as the intended trim pieces. You can see the shape of the trim piece leaves only a very small strip (1/4") that actually makes contact with the wall.

So, do I smear thinset along the edge of my tile, and butter the trim pieces and push/tape in place to set? Or, should I run a bead of adhesive along this thin strip and adhere it to the wall that way?

Also, as for finishing the edge after the trip is up, do I fill the void with thinset and just sponge away the excess, leaving the edge as it? Or is grout or silicone better for this?

Appreciate the help on this one guys.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
cx
Da Home Builder

A moderator can give your thread a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one, Larry.

I would key-in some thinset mortar on the wall and back-butter each of the pencil pieces. Thinset mortar is adequate to set those trim strips. You'll likely need some spacers or/and masking tape to hold them in place while the mortar sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
Also, as for finishing the edge after the trip is up,..
Sorry, not following you there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
Lardog

Not sure what happened here. I created a new thread and it somehow got tacked onto my older thread... ?

Anyway, thanks for the reply CX. What I meant on the finishing question was in regard to the exposed outer edge where it meets the painted wall. After I have the pencil trim pieces installed and the rest of the tile grouted, do I also grout that outer edge, or, should I use a bead of silicone as in the corners of the surround tile walls?

Thanks again for the assist.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #14
cx
Da Home Builder

Your threads were combined, Larry, to keep all the project information together so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Still not understanding the question. The only thing I see on the other side of your pencil trim is more of your CBU. What are you planning to grout there?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Not sure but Larry may be talking about the joint between the trim and Redgard. I've used grout in that application most of the time but silicone would work just fine. I just don't see much movement going on up there. I'd tape it off before using either one.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase