Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 01-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
Tile Money

Tile Podcast Introduction

Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I've been on here. I wanted to thank John and all of you for everything you've done for the industry and myself.

See I received my CA tile contractors Lic. back in 08, same year I got married and moved to new city. My business never took off and I ended up taking some work in Property Management, getting my Realtor Lic. and eventually starting my own Property Mngmt Co.

All the while I would stalk this forum and continued my tile education for my "comeback" It's because of all your advice that I was able to successfully open my tile business in 2015, things have been going well.

I also started a Tile Podcast called Tile Money "the business of tile installation"

I am making plans to be at Coverings this yr and look forward to meeting some of my Tile Heroes and hopefully record and episode or two!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Luke....since you introduced this, I'll post a link to your interview with Paul Luccia as I doubt he would do it (shy soul that he is!)

Very interesting "take" on the tile industry and how he has managed to command the "Super Bucks" that he does....and he does. This, from a lowly tile setter that has worked for him in the past....and, hopefully in the future.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bci_DR3J4Bc

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
Just In Tile LLC

What a great interview, Some of the points I realize I do, just havent thought about it. I especially like the part where he tells how he went into his old masters job from 50 years ago and it looks just as good as the first day.

Being customer-centric will always be what brings you to the top of the game.
I had a guy helping me and he set his hammer down on the granite countertop in the bathroom, I told him to remove it immediately. He said why, you covered it.

The explanation went something like this, you know it doesn’t hurt anything, I know it doesn’t hurt anything, but if the customer...”client” comes in, a thought process begins with the lay of the land we’ve set. I don’t want them to see a hammer on a granite countertop, covered or not. My goal is to always stop a thought process from the client that would take away from me being the best.

You start making little habit changes with that point of view, and you will be considered the best in your area because you see the job and actions through the customers eyes.

Last edited by Just In Tile LLC; 01-07-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Just In Tile LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
smifwal

Justin remember when I was talking about tile in my house? Paul talking about joining this forum, that could be me sitting there saying the exact same thing, And that is exactly how I felt when I came on here But I am 100 times the installer that I was wen I joined

https://youtu.be/Bci_DR3J4Bc
Old 01-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
Just In Tile LLC

Shoot, I'm right where you're at as well Shawn, I lurked on here for awhile, then said to myself, well... I want to be better... ima <-- (perfect English) join. Just taking the plunge and discussing best practice among other professionals better or equal to me has made me better.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
Tile Money

Thank you Laz, Just and Shawn, glad you enjoyed the episode! I should mention Iíve interviewed other tile contractors as well, Steve Rausch, Ron Nash, Robert Davis, a licensed CPA and others! If anyone here would like to be interviewed let me know 😊
Old 01-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
Just In Tile LLC

I will check them out Luke, love hearing from guys in the trade. Maybe when Iím successful Iíll answer some questions from you.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I'm gratified that people have been able to sort a little useful information from the massive clutter we've created over the past 18 years, and I appreciate the praise expressed for the John Bridge Forums. And I'll tell you, I've picked up a few pointers through the years from people who turn out to be way more knowledgeable and expressive than my own little self. Thank you all.

Look me up at Coverings, Luke. The JB "furniture" will be once again located in the Russo Trading booth.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Thanks John for providing our trade with a great forum that has made me step up my game over the years. The vast knowledge here is priceless. While other forums sprung up over the past few years, I still feel there is a bit more professionalism and decorum here. Wish more manufacturers would hang out here more often.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #10
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Thumbs up

Luke!! Your Tile money movement..Facebook group and podcast has really been a refreshing new direction that stands out for me very much in the spirit of this forum ; it keeps things positive and upbeat . DONT LOSE THAT !
I think itís very important to acknowledge that the great success of the JB Forum has been one of sharing and encouragement. Itís no small feat to gather up a huge pile of people and somehow manage to keep it cheerful and welcoming to all levels .

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #11
irish tileguy in michigan
Tile Contractor -- S.E. Michigan

Good stuff Luke, I only recently came across you on Facebook and followed you.

Laticrete Hydroban & Schluter Kerdi shower installs
Custom installation of Tile and stone
irish tileguy in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #12
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Thanks for starting Tile Money ! Its one more aspect of our industry that needs attention.

IMHO Facebook is fine for meeting other tile guys and sharing, but the JB Forum is more focused outwards - to the public, not just inwards towards ourselves. The discussions here are more detailed and lengthier which helps everyone.

The JB Forum is a vital part of our industry.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #13
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

I just watched the podcast. Great to see some faces and hear how others run their business. Keep it up.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #14
fhueston

also

I also have a podcast called the Stone and Tile Show but every time I post something about it, they say its not allowed on this site...HMMMMM.
blogtalkradio.com/drfred
Old 01-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #15
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Estimates.

Second interview with Paul Luccia about doing estimates. It's a bit long but very informative about the process. We can all take a lesson from this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8nyBxYkfk

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase