Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-13-2003, 09:09 AM   #1
tinytony

Tile is loosening around edges of tiled area

Tile was installed in April, 2000 (new house)

Problem: Ceramic floor tile (so far) is loosening aroud the periphery of the tiled area. I have heard the 'popping and crinkling' noise when the tile loosened. When walking on loosened tiles you can hear a slight grating noise. None of the loosened tiles appear to be cracked.

Layout: Tile is 'butted' against molding and the metal part of sliding glass doors. No room was left for the tile to expand.

Weather: For the past 2 years it has been wetter than normal. However, we have put in new rugs in rooms adjacent to the loose tile and have seen no sign of moisture on the slab.

Tiled area is about 32 ft by 32 ft and encompasses a kitchen, great room, dining area and breakfast nook. The tiles are 17.25 in square. With the exception of about 12 linear feet the tiled area is not near the edge of the slab.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Tony
tinytony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tony, Welcome to the forums.

I'm a perimeter soft joint convert, but I don't believe that's your main problem in this case. In my experience, floors that de-bond tend to do it in the interior of the field at first, not the perimeter. It's my guess that two things might have happend: they used really cheap and next to worthless thin set mortar; and they failed to properly clean the substrate. I'll betcha a dollar to a donut.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
tinytony

Thank you for your response. I have not responded sooner myself as I have a problem with my arm. I broke some bones in my arm and 2 chips off of my elbow. It was almost a month ago and after having surgery to put the chips in place and set the bones I can finally (somewhat) type with 2 hands.

Back to the problem. I am not sure of my options although I think that I might have to replace all of the tile. I am not sure if it possible to extract and reuse the loose tiles and I do not have enough left over to replace all of them.

I will have to get an estimate of the cost. In addition, I was thinking of going to the builder (house was new as of June, 2000) and asking him to fix the bad workmanship. This may be very frustating and I do not know if after this time it is possible.

In any event, do you know if all the tile will have to be replace?

Thanks,
Tony
tinytony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Well, replacing the floor is certainly the ultimate cure. Anything else would be a patch job, and the problem would probably continue.

Many builders will come through in situations like this even though the warranty has expired. If you can show that the original work is substandard (which you can), the builder should take care of it. There is no warranty limitation on substandard workmanship.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase