Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
TrimGuy

A Kerdi drain flange question

Gents,

I am about to start work on my sloping shower floor and will be using the Kerdi drain flange (PVC). The kit's installation DVD shows their demo guy setting the flange with no mention of using PVC primer and glue. In fact, it appears that he just sets the flange on the drain stub up w/out glue, using only the dry mix to stabilize it level.

I know you pros out there install a lot of this stuff...do you recommend using PVC glue or not?

Thanks very much! Love the forum - I always get the best advice here.

Steve
TrimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi Steve,
Yes, you do want to glue the drain to the stub. Dry fit everything first to make sure you've got the right height.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
TrimGuy

Cool - Actually that's what I thought and you confirmed it. We're all cut to height and ready to go. This was just a "to glue or not to glue" question.

Moving forward now....thanks!

Steve
Unread 05-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Ken_and_Cindy

Steve,

I think the installation says that in new construction where you have access to under the shower, its better to install the drain then connect the plumbing afterward. I think that is what the demo movie is showing. If the drain is already there then you need to glue it.

Long time DIYer
Ken_and_Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Good point Ken. When I did my shower a few years back I had access from below (basement). I mudded and set the KerdDrain before bothering to hookup the plumbing below.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You want to take a bit of your deck mud and mix in some more portland cement to make it stickier and easier to mush the drain into. You want it to stick, and a dry mix probably won't do that. It should be wet enough with enough cement in it to mush out of the holes in the flange when you push it down.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
TrimGuy

Thanks to all for your insight. This is actually a slab substrate installation where I did all the rough plumbing a while back. I removed my old tub and adjacent single shower and relocated a new 2" drain in the middle. I had the stub sticking up and had cut everythng to length then.

I pretty sure the video was somewhat high-level. It certainly gives me plenty to go on. Glueing seemed common sense but I wanted to be sure. Thanks also for the tip about having enough cement to get the mix to key into the flange. I've worked out a procedure to backfill most of the opening before the flange goes on.

This has been a great site for me over the past year. Everyone has been really helpful. I'm sure I'llbe back once the Kerdi starts going up. There are a lot of angles. I guess some pictures will be in order.

Thanks again all!

Steve

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase