Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Gregor4556

Needing advice on shower

I'm new to the forum and have been reading a lot of the posts trying to determine what is wrong with my shower. I have some genral ideas but decided to post to see if I'm on the right track.

I recently moved into a new house with a sower in the master bath that has a tiled floor. About a month after moving in, I noticed that some of the grout in was coming loose and out of the seam. This was confined to single grout line running down the center of the shower and bisecting the drain. I originally planned to remove the bad sections and regrout but when I started I noticed that the grout in the entire line was soft so I ended up removing the entire seam. I also noticed that the interior of drain was coated with a hard white substance about 1/4 -1/2 inch thick.

To make a long story short, here is waht I have noticed so far:

1) I could not find any openings in the drain for the weep holes using a coat hanger after chipping away the white substance.
2) After scrapping away the old grout, I noticed that I had gone well below the layer of the tine. It is probably close to half an inch deep in some places which leads me to believe I'm into the tile bed.
3) After sevral days letting the shower dry, I am still able to pull out wet material.

My concern is that the shower pan is holding water as it appears the weep holes are blocked and the grout is soft although it seems to be isolated to one seam. The shower does not appear to be leaking. Would it be ok to regrout and see if it holds or should I look into replacing the drain and subsequently some tile.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Gregor4556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
buzzards27

Greg, i bumped this up for you. maybe a pro can help. sounds like clogged weep holes.

Is the house brand new? Call the builder.

if it is older, have you contacted the realtor? there may be some concealment of defects by the seller here.

Al

The ONLY thing wrong with this country is that it was built by the LOW BIDDER!
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

I think you're on the right track...the weeps sound clogged and it's likely the "pack" or mortar bed was not deck mud(sand&cement) but really mortar mix(sand /cement & lime...like the brick layers use) I see this often, and it usually has a good degree of mineral buildup leaching into the drain. Mortar mix does a great job plugging the weep holes, but that's about it in this case. The floors of these showers are usually fairly wavy as mortar mix is tuff to "rod" nicely on a floor.

I've seen guys attempt to remove just the tile and mortar around the drain and drill the weep holes out...but to me that's almost impossible to do correctly, and is likely to be a band-aid that will need repair someday too. I would replace the drain, which likely means the pan too. Not a fun project...plenty of sweat involved..But doable if your ambitious.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
Gregor4556

Thanks for the for the help and advice. It is an older home. I'll see what the realator says but I don't think I'll have much success based on past experiences with hidden issues. I just read my home warranty as well and guess what - no shower pan coverage

I was hoping to avoid replacing the whole pan but it I don't want to have the same issue later on. I do a lot of work around the house but this will be my first shower. I'm glad I found this forum as there is a lot of good information.

Thanks again!
Gregor4556 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase