Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-02-2005, 05:58 AM   #1
Netty

Small CBU filler piece okay?

While we're waiting for our tile guy to show up - I keep thinking of questions and thought I'd ask here.
The CBU we put up on the sides of the tub area is verticle - that left 1 1/2" space that we filled with a scrap of the CBU - but there is no support for it - only on the 3 studs it's crossing and it does flex a bit - it seems to me this is problem a common problem and I wonder what the professionals do about it?
Also, what do you do with the space from edge of tub to floor? We aren't sure if there will be tile there or not, on the left the window is very close, but we used some greenboard hoping it was okay...
Jackie
Attached Images

Netty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-02-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
bbcamp

You have a few choices:

1) Take it down and add blocking. (Sure thing.)

2) Take it down and cut the lower piece down by about 12 inches, then install a larger piece above it. (Almost a sure thing, since you still have a horizontal joint with no blocking, but the pieces are stiffer.)

3) Leave it as is and hope that no one bumps into that section of the wall. (Probably a good bet, unless you are using mosiacs or listilleos in that area.)
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #3
Netty

The tile we're using is a porcelain 6 x 6 ...it wasn't until we got it home that I noticed that it's thicker than the porcelain we chose for the floor. So your option 3 is looking good ...
Thanks for the response
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
30all

Is it close to shower ceiling? Is cbu used on the ceiling?
I'd tape it with thinset, it will be stiff as the rest of board.
30all is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Netty

I tried to take a picture (see above on the left) to describe it a bit better. There is CBU on the ceiling and I just gave it a little test 'push' and it seems firmer already - with just the silicone II caulking along the upper edge - the small seam on the plane will be taped...
You've put my mind at ease - thanks for the responses...we had already removed all the Dens-Sheild and junked it when we switched over to the CBU - so I wasn't looking forward to taking that down too.
Thanks,
Jackie

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase